Silly husband, it's all wrong!

You will not regret it later. It is so much lighter, brighter, airy, cooler in the summer, etc. My daughter and I finished the last section of the barn outside shedrow under which our birds pens are built. The low side is about 7 feet tall and the high side about 12 feet. Yep, it does take quite a bit of wire...but we think it's worth it.

I use cheap screen doors (covered with hardware cloth) and it's easy to clean, rake, etc...and we mostly have silkies!!

Here's the scenario. He went to the store with the list. They were out of 8' 2x4's or stud length, so, instead of calling the wife, and having a 1/2 hr. conversation, inside of a Man Store, about which boards to buy, he just upsized one, and when he got home, he couldn't see wasting that extra 2' of length, because, afterall, most women think that a cutoff is trash, and pitch it before you can put it in the reuse pile.

So, now, she's got a house big enough for the chickens to play basketball in.

Last edited:
Silly husbands are the best! You will be surprised at what you will find to do with the extra space. Storage maybe? And some inventive embellishment will make it pretty and unique.

It will be worse of an eyesore if you are each playing the role of Construction Chief. Believe me. Our original coop had three Construction Chiefs, each of us with our own ideas. And it is the ugliest of my coops. Fortunately (?) it is weathering badly, and I'll be replacing it in a year or so with something built the way I want--as are all my other coops.

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
It's the RUUUN that's that big, not the coop! The building is mostly done and looks great, cause I cheated and bought a kit of pre-cut metal!

He flipped over the frame, knocked off the extra, and then did a good husband thing of shortening the back end, so half of it can be covered in corogated roofing on a slant, so that I won't have to snow shovel the run to let the birds out. So he totally redeemed himself.

The building is 8x10, the run is also 8x10. 14 birds or less, depends on how many roos hatch out of the 6 eggs that are developing. A possible 2nd 8x10 run on the other side, sandwiching the building.

Still need to get foam board and wood paneling to insulate the inside, and finish framing out the windows and pop door.

Lot's of progress today without my direct supervision... since I had to be at work. I got to give a nod of approval today! Then I sent him off to the man store to buy a table saw as a reward, since he was getting ticked off with his 45 cuts using a circular saw. Plus the additional stuff to finish the thing out.

Back
Top Bottom