Silly idea? Sell boneless DP cuts; good flavor, customer doesn't know!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, May 26, 2011.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I must have too much time on my hands and too little experience to come up with ideas like this. I know people are not familiar with the look of a non-cornish carcass. Maybe selling tasty boneless cuts could be a way around that? Would they still look different?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From what I've seen when I butchered dp roos, there's not enough breast to fillet out and sell. Maybe as strips or tenders? But you'd need a lot of roosters to have enough meat to sell.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    There is a good market for DP breeds if you sell them right. They are hands down amazing fried. I prefer them over the CX because the meat cooks all the way through evenly. Because of the larger breast in the CX I always seem to keep the middle pink.

You can throw them on the grill too, as long as they aren't too old. It's definitely a niche market but there are people out there willing to buy them. Go with a heritage breed... they seem to sell better. Even though they don't taste any different in my opinion than any other DP breed.

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    If one is haveing a problem with the thickness ,therefore pinkness in the middle after cooking, of the THICK Cornish X breast meat ... I would suggest you cut the breast in half leangthwise ( lay flat then cut ) first into two equal halves , then cook. Cooks through fast and Oh so tender. [​IMG] One can also use a meat tenderizer mallot and pound the breast meat into a 1/4" thick piece, bread it on both sides , cooks it realy fast ( a minute per side) and tender. [​IMG] Mouth watering good ! [​IMG] Value added cuts of meat. [​IMG] For marketing ... cut in half ... and/or tenderize and bread it ... package ... ready to cook = $$$ in one's pocket. [​IMG] Patent pending. Send royalty checks pronto. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by