1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly phobias that linger from childhood? Clowns are a given O_O

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dewey, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    When I was about 4, one pitch black night my had-nothing-better-to-do 17 year old sibling had sneaked outside and started scratching on the window exterior right behind where I was sitting [​IMG] I sprang up, terrified, and jerked the curtains back to see a full size ragged old scarecrow suddenly jumping and pushing against the window trying to get in. [​IMG] My sibling still apologizes for doing that to this day....and scarecrows still creep me out. [​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Not gonna lie, I am still kinda afraid of the dark. Not as bad where I need to sleep with some form of dim light anymore, but I feel uneasy in unfamiliar dark places. Though I do walk around the house without a light on at night, sucks when someone moves something and I trip over it! I got over my intense fear of needles and spiders. Oh gosh, I remember when I was five getting held down by three Corpsman while a nurse was trying to give me a tetanus shot. Mom said I was screaming bloody murder and putting up a good fight...

A phobia that still lives on is a phone phobia! I get so anxious whenever I have to call or receive a call. Sometimes I don't pick up since I am so anxious. I am literally breathless after a phone call. I am just fine in person and a great public speaker (so says college professors? I just go with it whenever I have to present something), but hand me a phone and tell me to call someone and I am terrified. The age of texting has become a godsend, but you can't text everyone! I have to practice and wring my hands when I have to make an important call, it can take me nearly an hour to get the courage up to do so.

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Mine is bridges; can't drive over a bridge. When I was a little girl it was buildings with a high ceiling but that one went away. My mother was a victim of panic her whole life. I think she may have passed on some of her panic to me by genetics and/or some kind of cellular memory...

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Leeches and slugs are some of my worst fears. Also, being followed and suddenly walked in on [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Clowns are not a given. One of my SDs and my own DD are both afraid of clowns. I have no idea where that would come from. [​IMG]

I still harbor a fear of heights that stems from an incident as a child and the George Washington bridge; but I've worked hard and have nearly conquered it.

6. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Bugs and spiders. *shudder* Also, anything to do with Lavender Town. Sweet Mother Prussia, I can't count how many nights I had nightmares about that ghost.

7. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Turkeys, Gypsies, and Escalators.

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I used to be scared of escalators, too. I thought they were going to catch my feet and grind me up or something. I only got over that phobia a few months ago.

Hmm, I can't think of any others at the moment. [​IMG]

9. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I almost forgot! Hatching eggs. I have a morbid fear of helping out a chick then realising it is blind or something.....[​IMG]

10. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    I have worked hard to rid myself of my fears but it is hard work. I often make myself do things outside my comfort zone to stretch my boundaries.

1. tight enclosed spaces especially those where I can't move my arms. When I was very young ( less than 3) I crawled under a bed on my stomach and tried to get up on my hands and knees. I got wedged in amd must have been yelling hysterically because my mom had to lift up the bed so I could get out.

2. Spiders although I've gotten much better at it - being a gardener and all. When I was in elementary school a family of boys lived next door and I got chased repeatedly with spiders. After that, even a photo of a big spider when I wasn't expecting it would make me freeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by