Silly question about the taste.

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
Okay, so far the meaties have been a lot of work. Process day is Monday and I'm just so excited to finally eat these little guys. Anyway, can anyone explain why or how they taste so much better than store bought. Because right now, if you'd ask me would I do this again, it would be "NO". I'm really hoping (like everyone is saying) that they taste fabulous.

Why wouldn't you do it again? Have you had a bad experience with them?

I'm sorry I can't answer your original question, my first batch of meaties aren't going to be ready for awhile yet.

I do hope it all works out for you though. Have a great day!

To me the taste was fuller or richer or more robust. However you want to describe it, there was more taste, you know you are eating something. The texture is also firmer.

Some people might not like it because they are used to mushy tasteless store bought chicken. I prefer the homegrown.

I wondered the same thing.

Except for two Red Star roosters which were slaughtered at 9 weeks and not aged at all (they were tough and tasteless), all of the consumed home-grown chickens (many different breeds--no cornishX) have had a much more intense chicken flavor than any store-bought chicken I have ever eaten. They really tasted like rich, rich chicken.

But we have not eaten any frozen ones yet. We slaughtered four at a time, ate one fresh and froze three. I am hoping that they will taste like the fresh ones.

I think it has been worth it, because I enjoyed the whole process--watching them grow up and trying to figure out which breeds we had.

However, if I hadn't gotten so many laughs out of their antics, I might be looking to buy someone else's free rangers already processed and frozen. It was a lot of time and work and expense. But the flavor has been so good that eating chicken is now a pleasure, instead of a ho hum.

Carol in Minnesota

Quote:
It's not that the experience is bad it's a lot of work. I didn't realize how much work it would be and maybe I made more of it myself. I give them new water 3 times a day and food 3 to 4 times a day and with 3 kids (1 being a year old) it's not always easy getting out there to do it. Also we had a predator problem and lost 6 and now the cold weather took 2 more. It's just been draining, mentally and physically. Like I said, I just hope they taste good and maybe we'll do it again for that reason. Of course I'm doing it because I like to know what my family is eating (no hormones, etc.).

The first time I did cornish I had them in a coop!!!
it was messy to say the least I could not wait till it was over!

since than I put cornish & extra roos in a tractor I feed them a few times a day & move the tractor!

hu.gif
So, I am just guessing as to why you didn't like the experience!

I hope my experience has helped!!

I have them in tractors too, geez we need to move it daily. They are killing my grass. I have 2 tractors for what started out as 25 birds. Does the grass grow back? And the flies are awful, I have been putting sand all over the yucky poo trying to keep the smell down.

my grass grows back & much greener!!!

maybe you need to have less in each so they aren't over welm the area that they are in!

You want to give them alot of space or they won't grow as big as they can!

Joanne

I didn't realize they need a lot of space. They have about 3sq. feet per bird. I almost thought it was too much room.

Back
Top Bottom