Silly question, but is it possible...

Sequin

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
...for a bantam roo to fertilize a standard hen? I am just wondering because I have a bantam roo and a SS roo in with my hens and should I decide to hatch any chicks out, I am wondering what I will get. Too, if it IS possible, what are anyone's thoughts on a MF D'Uccle bantam with say a BO? Thanks SOO much for any help and assistance!

I have read on here that it is indeed possible...never personally witnessed it though...I don't see why not as long as there's no standard roo getting in his way!! I think a MF d'uccle over a BO would be GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had silkie x standard cochin babies. So it is possible
wink.png
The silkie was the boy of course!

On of my daughter's little Belgians grew up with our large fowl & was free ranging. He had his little harem including leghorns. We didn't hatch any eggs but he seemed to be doing his job.

Last edited:
I don't know if a D'uccle could get though tha fluff of a big buff orp- but sure would be interesting. I've heard that chicks from these matings are in between bantam and large size.

I think I have a bantam buff brahma like that. She's bigger than my banty cochin roos, but in a coop with them. Have yet to get a fertile egg from her.
hmm.png

Cute babies kdcrws! Keep us posted as they grow!

Yep its possible! We have made SilkieXRIRs and SilkieXAmeraucana, All came out flat feathered, but added some interesting colors to the mix.
The five toe trait follows in the chicks as does the feathered legs.
The Silkie has always been the Roo, I would Never put a Silkie hen in with a full size Roo.

Back
Top Bottom