Silly question, but is it possible...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sequin, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    ...for a bantam roo to fertilize a standard hen? I am just wondering because I have a bantam roo and a SS roo in with my hens and should I decide to hatch any chicks out, I am wondering what I will get. Too, if it IS possible, what are anyone's thoughts on a MF D'Uccle bantam with say a BO? Thanks SOO much for any help and assistance!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I have read on here that it is indeed possible...never personally witnessed it though...I don't see why not as long as there's no standard roo getting in his way!! I think a MF d'uccle over a BO would be GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I had silkie x standard cochin babies. So it is possible [​IMG] The silkie was the boy of course!

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

On of my daughter's little Belgians grew up with our large fowl & was free ranging. He had his little harem including leghorns. We didn't hatch any eggs but he seemed to be doing his job.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    here's my silkie/rock babies i just hatched.

[​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't know if a D'uccle could get though tha fluff of a big buff orp- but sure would be interesting. I've heard that chicks from these matings are in between bantam and large size.

I think I have a bantam buff brahma like that. She's bigger than my banty cochin roos, but in a coop with them. Have yet to get a fertile egg from her. [​IMG]

Cute babies kdcrws! Keep us posted as they grow!

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:There so.... FLUFFY!! [​IMG]

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes it is possible. My Sebright rooster successfully mated with my Black Australorp hen. I have the chick to prove it [​IMG]

9. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:What breed are you talking about? Belgium Booted bantams, Belgium D'anvers, And D'uccles Don't have a standard counter part. [​IMG]

10. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Yep its possible! We have made SilkieXRIRs and SilkieXAmeraucana, All came out flat feathered, but added some interesting colors to the mix.
    The five toe trait follows in the chicks as does the feathered legs.
    The Silkie has always been the Roo, I would Never put a Silkie hen in with a full size Roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by