Silly question... ornery chickens

Debs8

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
South Carolina

I now only have 5 chickens left, I have since made a pen for the girls after losing 3 to a coyote
barnie.gif
including my roo. So it is now just 5 hens. Anyway, my girls are now 6 months old. I have 2 hens that act very strange when I approach them. When I try to pet them, they will crouch down and and spread out as if they want to mate. I have seen this before. I am wondering if my girls are getting ready to lay eggs. And what do I need to do to start the process? Also, they seem very grumpy, fussy and very demanding. What is going on?
Any help would be greatly appriciated....
idunno.gif

Sounds to me like you could expect eggs anytime now! If you let them out in a yard, I would be checking under stuff to see if one might be laying already.

You're exactly right! Your hens are "assuming the position" and you are their rooster. LOL That does mean that soon you will have eggs. It would be a good idea now, if you haven't already, to put a nesting box or two in your coop. Put some straw or wood shavings in there, and even a golf ball or fake egg if you want, to give them the idea on where to lay. It's almost time for those eggs! Good luck!

Sharon

Okay! Thanks for letting me know its time to gather the eggs. They are laying pretty often now... oh my gosh... I'm so excited.
With 5 young first timers, I'm getting 4 eggs a day. Thanks for the advice. And they do think I'm their rooster... that's just too weird... lol. When they assume "the position", I just stroke them on the back and then they're happy. What have I gotten myself into... lol.
Oh, one more question... How long can an go without being collected?

Yes they sure are! Its too weird... lol. Should I get them a roo? Mine was taken by a coyote, it was terrible! But my fiance says that was a good thing... and of course that made me angry... lol. But he wasnt crowing yet either. I think that's what he was refering to when he said that was a good thing?!!
roll.png

Last edited:
Fluff & puff - that is too funny. My Barred Rock does that. When I pick her up after she squats, she closes here eyes and puffs out all her feathers like she's getting ready for the worst. Then she sings a funny little song. It's just adorable.

I was wondering if hens get frustrated not having a rooster.......

I just tell my little BR, "Be happy you're not getting clawed in the back..."
smile.png

if you decide to get a roo for them- you couldn't do better than a brahma or cochin.... they have great personality and are usually gentle to the ladies- love the fluff and puff description!

Back
Top Bottom