Silly question

Kgbao

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
West Georgia
Can you over feed 2.5 week chicks?

They have access to food all day everyday, they have already learned they get a snack in the morning and one before bed. Usually it’s a little bit of the mill worm trailmix stuff with lots of protein. I’ve been giving them a little bit of the “medicated crush” also as a snack. Not really medicated in my opinion it’s got the Pre/Probiotics in it. They seem to attack either one like sharks on a feeding frenzy. I’m just worried thy are over eating?

That’s what I thought was just curious i guess they don’t like the regular 20% in the feeder.

Stop or cut back on the treats. Chicks are so little that it doesn't take many treats to fill them up. They're growing super fast at this stage, and their feed is formulated to have the optimal balance of nutrition for growing, so you really don't want to dilute that with treats.

It is fun to give your babies treats but you want them to eat their feed first and foremost. With young chicks I may give them a bit of meal worm or a little apple a couple times a week. Treats should only make up 10% of the diet. Too much protein can lead to health problems too.

Back
Top Bottom