Silly question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikkichicki, Mar 22, 2008.

1. nikkichicki

nikkichicki Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    This is my first time raising chicks and ducks and I have a really silly question. About what age do Chicks and ducks start getting their "Grown Up Voices"?

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    The chicks we have had started sounding chickenish around 14 weeks, but I bet that is veries by breed and personality. I think that I read a post from Speckledhen saying she had a chick try to crow crazy early, I want to say under a week old?

3. nikkichicki

Mar 2, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    So is it possible to hear them making atempts at about 3-4 weeks? Of course it is not full blown adult noises but I notice more gurgling. LOL

4. StellaRella

StellaRella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Oregon
    I had a banty rooster start crowing a 6 weeks last year. In my experiance the banty's mature faster than standard breeds. I would say my standard breeds started to make "real" chicken sounds at about 13-14 weeks. It's been years since I had ducks so I don't remember a whole lot about them. Good luck with your babies! I'm jealous over your ducks:D

5. nikkichicki

Mar 2, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    The ducks are not as friendly as I was hoping and they are very squeeky. we have had them for 2 weeks so I expect they will come around soon...

6. StellaRella

StellaRella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Oregon
    What kind of ducks are they?

7. nikkichicki

Mar 2, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    They are Pekin's. Man you can sit there and watch them grow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by