Silver Ameraucanas

Hi,

I'm Chris from Vermont and I'm crazy for Silver Ameraucanas!

I have a trio of John Blehm birds that were hatched April 2012. They are beautiful to my eye, although would like a better comb on the rooster. Open to your comments. I hope to be hatching some of their eggs this year and am a novice as to judging the finer points. I am sad that I sold some of them last spring before they grew out. I'm kicking myself now! But maybe that means I can find some others to diversify genetics with.
That's why I am here!

Some of you I may have met on the main Ameraucana site. Sorry if I was one of those that was a pain in the butt for a while! I am learning, and have chosen a color now.

I want to get to know those of you who are raising Silvers, I LOVE THEM! Even though I love all the colors, these are the ones that make my heart pound!
love.gif

If any of you will have hatching eggs, chicks or maybe yearlings I'd love to get more. Hopefully if all goes well there will be some to share from this trio.
I don't know how close the birds are bred, but will be taking a shot at hatching. Just got a Brinsea Mini Advance today (SOOO EGGCITED!!!) and have a few broody Silkies that are great mothers.
The pics are Sir Silver and his two Silver Girls!

Ms fluffy butt

Sir Silver

The hens look so much alike I can't tell them apart, even side by side!

Sir Silver

very nice coloring. I plan on trying my luck at hatching some to breed with my crele penedesenca rooster for some neat olive eggers

It's been a rough spring... had the Silvers penned for 2 months, with some added hens because I only have one roo and too hens. Also it helped me have a "control" set of eggs. No pure chicks and it's June...

Long story short, I still have no Silvers from my trio. Fertility has been an issue with the hens, the roo has fertilized the control hens, but not the Silvers. I set them back to free ranging, to age up too even though they were a year in April. I haven 8 under a broody, but I don't know if the are pure Silver or not. We will see by Friday if they are fertile and growing....

Have had some bad weather, bad days, frustrations and some sorrow.

Might have to order birds or eggs if I can get my heart back into it. For now, I'm enjoying the birds, which is why I got them in the first place
he.gif

It's been a rough spring... had the Silvers penned for 2 months, with some added hens because I only have one roo and too hens. Also it helped me have a "control" set of eggs. No pure chicks and it's June...

Long story short, I still have no Silvers from my trio. Fertility has been an issue with the hens, the roo has fertilized the control hens, but not the Silvers. I set them back to free ranging, to age up too even though they were a year in April. I haven 8 under a broody, but I don't know if the are pure Silver or not. We will see by Friday if they are fertile and growing....

Have had some bad weather, bad days, frustrations and some sorrow.

Might have to order birds or eggs if I can get my heart back into it. For now, I'm enjoying the birds, which is why I got them in the first place
he.gif

So 6 Silver eggs are growing, hatch date is June 21. Will update after hatch.

Hi there. I hope its not a bother but I was told I was buying silver Amerucanas and then I thought they were common EEs but I'm unsure about the only one I have left. I hoping for a pullet. The only reason im questioning breed is because said pullet is getting the lacing on her hackle feathers...like the silver hens.

When she was 3 weeks.

5 weeks

now

20130707_123216_zps47fea4e6.jpg

Last edited:
Any updates from Silver breeders? I no longer have my original rooster, but I know where he is. The two hens have vanished, probably predator at free range. I did finally get 6 to hatch. Two did not thrive, 4 did make it. Thought they were all going to be boys, but finally a pullet showed her colors! Another predator took one of the cockerels, so at the moment I have two 7 month old cockerels and a single pullet. Discouraging... but no totally giving up.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom