Silver Americauna

Hen or Rooster?

• Total voters
At the feed store, the chick was sold to me as an Americauna sexed pullet, so that is all I am going on. I have a regular old run of the mill brown Americauna that looks like a regular pullet, smaller, smaller comb, no fancy tail or fancy neck feathers. This one is starting to try to "mount" the others, and s/he is not the top of the pecking order. Please keep the recommendations coming...

At the feed store, the chick was sold to me as an Americauna sexed pullet, so that is all I am going on. I have a regular old run of the mill brown Americauna that looks like a regular pullet, smaller, smaller comb, no fancy tail or fancy neck feathers. This one is starting to try to "mount" the others, and s/he is not the top of the pecking order. Please keep the recommendations coming...
Typically speaking if you see the spelling "Americana" or "Americauna" with an I you can be almost certain it's really an Easter Egger. Most of the time if someone is selling an Ameraucana, especially feed stores and hatcheries, it's likely an Easter Egger as well. True bred to SOP Ameraucana are harder to come by and usually only from reliable breeders. That all being said, unless you were looking to show the bird or wanted a guaranteed blue egg, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an Easter Egger, they're a fan favorite of many backyard flocks.

Typically speaking if you see the spelling "Americana" or "Americauna" with an I you can be almost certain it's really an Easter Egger. Most of the time if someone is selling an Ameraucana, especially feed stores and hatcheries, it's likely an Easter Egger as well. True bred to SOP Ameraucana are harder to come by and usually only from reliable breeders. That all being said, unless you were looking to show the bird or wanted a guaranteed blue egg, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an Easter Egger, they're a fan favorite of many backyard flocks.
X2

You have a lovely Easter Egger Cockerel. At 3.5 months that comb is huge, and I think he's telling you he's coming into his teenager-hood, if he's mounting the girls.
At 14-16 weeks you think? My 9 week old EE cockerel has a comb that big already. I agree though mounting sounds like a young male coming into his hormones. Maybe it's a slow maturing cockerel?

You have a lovely Easter Egger Cockerel. At 3.5 months that comb is huge, and I think he's telling you he's coming into his teenager-hood, if he's mounting the girls.
X2....this pattern is typically seen in males and there appears to be the beginnings of gold toned saddle feathering emerging in both photos

Back
Top Bottom