sweetpot95

Hatching
Apr 5, 2024
I’m having immense difficulty in sexing my two silver Appleyard’s - they’re quacks sound similar and because I only have the two it’s hard to identify.
They both do not have a drake feather and their black feathers on their heads ect. have no green iridescence. The only things that make me think they could be drakes is that the brown one has a greenish tint to its bill and the white ones quack seems a little bit deeper.

They’re roughly 3 months old and I don’t mind if I have one drake but I really want one female and I’m desperate to find out! Happy to film a proper video of them with sound if need be :) this video was taken a couple of weeks ago now for my friends.

EDIT: I can’t seem to attach a video so I’m going to look for some pictures

I’m having immense difficulty in sexing my two silver Appleyard’s - they’re quacks sound similar and because I only have the two it’s hard to identify.
They both do not have a drake feather and their black feathers on their heads ect. have no green iridescence. The only things that make me think they could be drakes is that the brown one has a greenish tint to its bill and the white ones quack seems a little bit deeper.

They’re roughly 3 months old and I don’t mind if I have one drake but I really want one female and I’m desperate to find out! Happy to film a proper video of them with sound if need be :) this video was taken a couple of weeks ago now for my friends.

EDIT: I can’t seem to attach a video so I’m going to look for some pictures
IMG_3799.png
IMG_3798.png
IMG_3797.png
IMG_3796.png
IMG_3795.png
IMG_3794.png
IMG_3793.png
IMG_3792.png
IMG_3800.png
best I could do for tonight! They’ve changed a bit now - they have no baby feathers left on their heads ect. and my white one has fawn spots on it’s chest and a few on its back :)

First if they are quaking then they are girls
Second you can't attach videos you can only post them on YouTube or something and link it here
Third it looks like you have a light phase and a dark phase
Here are some pictures of male and females in the light and dark phases they are not my birds my silver appleyard is only 2 weeks old (I will post a pic of her too, just calling her a girl don't really know)
Dark phase (not the best pic but the only one I could find)
Screenshot_20240405_172818_Firefox.jpg
Light phase
Screenshot_20240405_173618_Google.jpg
And my baby Blossom (she is a light phase, dark phase babys look quite like Mallard babys)
20240402_163821.jpg
Good luck
Edit: the dark phase they are still young not lost all their baby puff yet

First if they are quaking then they are girls
Second you can't attach videos you can only post them on YouTube or something and link it here
Third it looks like you have a light phase and a dark phase
Here are some pictures of male and females in the light and dark phases they are not my birds my silver appleyard is only 2 weeks old (I will post a pic of her too, just calling her a girl don't really know)
Dark phase (not the best pic but the only one I could find)
View attachment 3792316
Light phase
View attachment 3792318
And my baby Blossom (she is a light phase, dark phase babys look quite like Mallard babys)
View attachment 3792321
Good luck
Edit: the dark phase they are still young not lost all their baby puff yet
Thank you for your reply! The problem with the quacking is I cannot confidently say if either is quacking - sometimes I think both do sometimes I think they don’t :( they are super gentle and quite even when I walk them away from each other they hardly make a sound! They’re super chill haha if I could confidently say that one of them was male or female I know I could determine the similarities and differences between their quacks but until then I’m just too unsure 🥲

Thank you for your reply! The problem with the quacking is I cannot confidently say if either is quacking - sometimes I think both do sometimes I think they don’t :( they are super gentle and quite even when I walk them away from each other they hardly make a sound! They’re super chill haha if I could confidently say that one of them was male or female I know I could determine the similarities and differences between their quacks but until then I’m just too unsure 🥲
Ps. blossom is adorable! My white one (Jemima) looked exactly like that when she was a duckling! Thank you for letting me know about the dark and light phase!My dark phase one is named ducky (from the land before time - she was a lot smaller lol) I picked her name because it’s unisex and then if one did end up being a drake I could have him as ducky and Jemima as the duck 🦆

I also have called them girls from the start to try and manifest them to both be female but I’m pretty confident that Jemima could be a drake! As some of her tail feathers are starting to curl a bit - I still have hope she might be a girl though! And have come to terms with until I see an egg or a complete drake curl I can’t confidently say what sex they are - I just don’t have enough experience with ducks yet 🥲🥰

Ps. blossom is adorable! My white one (Jemima) looked exactly like that when she was a duckling! Thank you for letting me know about the dark and light phase!My dark phase one is named ducky (from the land before time - she was a lot smaller lol) I picked her name because it’s unisex and then if one did end up being a drake I could have him as ducky and Jemima as the duck 🦆

I also have called them girls from the start to try and manifest them to both be female but I’m pretty confident that Jemima could be a drake! As some of her tail feathers are starting to curl a bit - I still have hope she might be a girl though! And have come to terms with until I see an egg or a complete drake curl I can’t confidently say what sex they are - I just don’t have enough experience with ducks yet 🥲🥰
I love the names, I named one of my Call drakes Jemima puddle duck (from Peter rabbit) but them it turned ot that he was a he so changed it to puddle
The drake feathers are a good way to tell the gender
This is my male call buttercup you can see the drake feathers on him
Screenshot_20240408_125632_Video Player.jpg

Back
Top Bottom