Silver Appleyard struggling to pass eggs

Mini_field_farm

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Hi, my Silver Appleyard keeps having problems passing eggs. She has been laying since December and is approximately 10 months old. She started off well and was laying decent sized hard shell eggs every couple of days. Then after a few weeks she laid a couple of soft shell eggs. She now frequently struggles to pass eggs and when she does they are always broken soft shells. She sometimes goes a few weeks without laying any eggs at all, then will lay a couple of "normal" eggs and then the whole thing repeats itself. She is fed a diet of Allen and Page Duck and Goose breeder pellets, has access to oyster shell all the time and enjoys some treats of spinach, lettuce, mealworms and corn in moderation. She has access to a pond, and overnights in a draught free straw lined house. She lives with my drake. I guess my question is what am I doing wrong? I hate seeing her struggle to pass the eggs as she is clearly uncomfortable until it's done and that can take hours. I do wonder if she is overweight? Would that cause the problems I am describing? Also been suggested it could be a vitamin D deficiency, but now the days are getting longer they free range for at least 12 hours a day at the moment, so now doubting this? Also could it be my drake being too enthusiastic in his duties? I am currently building a duck pen in our field to move them into, with a view to getting another couple of girls so he can share his "affections" out a bit more, but I can't do this while they are living in the garden. When she isn't struggling to pass an egg she is very nosey, into everything and regularly legs it across the garden to great the postman so she seems healthy otherwise, and certainly has a good appetite and spends lots of time rooting about looking for snacks or splashing in the pond. I'm really worried that the longer this goes on she will do lasting damage or suffer a prolapse or infection. Any help gratefully received!

So it sounds like she's got a calcium deficiency, even with access to oyster shell. For whatever reason, she's not taking in enough. This is evidenced by the soft shelled eggs. Calcium is also used for muscle contraction (hence why dairy cows can get 'milk fever' when their milk comes in) so lacking it could also make it harder for her to use her muscles to pass the eggs.

I would try giving her Calcium Gluconate. The dosage is 100 mg per 1 kg body weight. Try that and see if her next egg is more normal and if she passes it easier.

So it sounds like she's got a calcium deficiency, even with access to oyster shell. For whatever reason, she's not taking in enough. This is evidenced by the soft shelled eggs. Calcium is also used for muscle contraction (hence why dairy cows can get 'milk fever' when their milk comes in) so lacking it could also make it harder for her to use her muscles to pass the eggs.

I would try giving her Calcium Gluconate. The dosage is 100 mg per 1 kg body weight. Try that and see if her next egg is more normal and if she passes it easier.
Thanks for coming back to me. I've found some liquid calcium that I can add to the water, my next question is will this have a negative impact on my drake and cockeral who also drink the same water?

You can also use a human otc calcium supplement. Even Tums (yes, the antacid) can be used. The trouble with dosing in the waterer, is you can’t be certain how much she’s getting.

Give her 2 tums to start, then 1 each day until you see a hard-shelled egg or at least 3 days.
Other calcium supplements are 1 tab immediately then 1/2 tab each day as above...

Just to add I live in the UK and calcium gluconate doesn't seem to be readily available to purchase over the counter hence looking at an alternative source of calcium. Happy for someone to tell me otherwise though! Would the farm vets be able to supply me with this potentially do you think?

A vet could get you something, yes.

It doesn’t have to be calcium Gluconate— calcium carbonate or calcium citrate are fine too.
The same product you can get at the drugstore for yourself, you can use that.

Chewable antacid tablets contain Calcium. (Known as Tums in the US)

Just to add I live in the UK and calcium gluconate doesn't seem to be readily available to purchase over the counter hence looking at an alternative source of calcium. Happy for someone to tell me otherwise though! Would the farm vets be able to supply me with this potentially do you think?
If you follow these instructions to add your location It will help others give you better advice. (be as general—UK; or as specific—town, etc as you are comfortable with)
B0F6189F-520A-409C-BD35-622FF2B9B823.jpeg

Hi, my Silver Appleyard keeps having problems passing eggs. She has been laying since December and is approximately 10 months old. She started off well and was laying decent sized hard shell eggs every couple of days. Then after a few weeks she laid a couple of soft shell eggs. She now frequently struggles to pass eggs and when she does they are always broken soft shells. She sometimes goes a few weeks without laying any eggs at all, then will lay a couple of "normal" eggs and then the whole thing repeats itself. She is fed a diet of Allen and Page Duck and Goose breeder pellets, has access to oyster shell all the time and enjoys some treats of spinach, lettuce, mealworms and corn in moderation. She has access to a pond, and overnights in a draught free straw lined house. She lives with my drake. I guess my question is what am I doing wrong? I hate seeing her struggle to pass the eggs as she is clearly uncomfortable until it's done and that can take hours. I do wonder if she is overweight? Would that cause the problems I am describing? Also been suggested it could be a vitamin D deficiency, but now the days are getting longer they free range for at least 12 hours a day at the moment, so now doubting this? Also could it be my drake being too enthusiastic in his duties? I am currently building a duck pen in our field to move them into, with a view to getting another couple of girls so he can share his "affections" out a bit more, but I can't do this while they are living in the garden. When she isn't struggling to pass an egg she is very nosey, into everything and regularly legs it across the garden to great the postman so she seems healthy otherwise, and certainly has a good appetite and spends lots of time rooting about looking for snacks or splashing in the pond. I'm really worried that the longer this goes on she will do lasting damage or suffer a prolapse or infection. Any help gratefully received!
Spinach should never be given to ducks, as it interferes with calcium absorption. Try romaine or kale instead.

I have read that calcium citrate is more readily absorbed. It's over the counter and that's what I've been giving my duck. It's been a week and a half for me and my duck is still laying soft shelled eggs though - I think it might be something greater than a calcium deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom