Silver Duckwing Bantams

Joy Irwin

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Tennessee Mountain top
My husband is wanting to get some Silver Duckwing Bantams. I don't know anything about this particular breed of chickens. I've never had bantams of any kind before. Does anyone here know if they are winter hardy? I live in zone 6, but the winter on top of a mountain is not necessarily predictable. This past winter the temperature got down to 10 several times and would stay that low or about that low for 2 to 3 days. I just want to make sure we don't end up with chickens that aren't suitable for our mountain living.
thanks for any info!!!!
Joy

ok well I didn't know that. I know that they are a variety of the Old English Game bantams, so I guess that the OEG would be considered the actual breed and Silver Duckwing a color then? I don't know anything about bantams, never had any before. I've mostly had heavy breeds, or mixed breeds. I just have pets, my husband wants this particular type.
thanks for the info, JOY

To answer your question, yes they are cold hardy. It got down to 8 degrees this past winter and mine did fine. Be sure you have a draft-free coop for them.

Here is one of my silver duckwing OEGB's with her foster Serama chicks. She is tiny, about 18 ounces, but she lays a really big egg for her size.

oeg-and-serama.jpg

There are also Silver Duckwing Phoenixes.. They are a larger sized bird though, so if he just wants the color you could consider them.

I have a pair, the male lost part of his comb though, but it was -50 for about a week up here. They should do fine down there.

I have a silver duckwing araucana--she does quite well in our winters, but they are pretty mild. Years ago she lived in Wisconsin, so she must have done well there, too.

I vote for the Silver Duckwing Bantams. They're my favorite!
Here's a pic of a little hen I had. She was my favorite. Unfortunately a hawk did her in a couple of months ago.
I got another pair at a bird show and the hen hatched-out last week.

Good Luck
33782_img_8284_pe1_c.jpg

I have a female and no male, she has been laying eggs that are not fertile. I feel so sorry I can't find her a mate, so I got her a few quail eggs to hatch. Won't she be surprised?

My silver duckwing Old English Bantam is also my favorite. I got her at the end of last summer and she is now laying about every other day. Her eggs are large for her size and are like a small commercial size egg where as my other Crele bantam's eggs are much smaller. This little hen is at the head of my 3 in pecking order. She has always been so tame and sweet letting my grand daughters and myself pick her up and carry her around.She can even be a lap-hen for a long while.More like a pet than my Silkie bantam or other old english (Crele) that is shy.
If you really want to give your birds a treat, buy a container of dried mealworms like the ones sold in bird-food section at Lowes. They absolutely love them and will eat from your hand. Also a treat of canned dog food is beginning to be expected. I dont know if this is why they are laying better or if it is due to spring but I am enjoying the gifts of eggs just in time for Easter!

Awesome you asked your question about silver d uckwing bantoms, I just purchased 10 chicks, going back to all bantom & I live in the east kootenay's B. C, it gets cold out here...

Back
Top Bottom