Silver Gene

I did speak with him through email, and he gave me a refund of my purchase.

So far 2 of the albinos are healthy, 1 is not even blind yet, and the other is healthy, other than the bulging eye. I may keep them as house quail, their blind antics are pretty funny. I’ve considered making a thread to follow the adventures of my 3 albinos.
Good luck! Be aware that they may fail and just pass away. Albinos almost always have health issues. I'm so glad I have someone who will take my deformed chicks for reptile food. I hate culling chicks. This way they still end up culled, but at least they become food and I don't feel like their lives are wasted.

Good luck! Be aware that they may fail and just pass away. Albinos almost always have health issues. I'm so glad I have someone who will take my deformed chicks for reptile food. I hate culling chicks. This way they still end up culled, but at least they become food and I don't feel like their lives are wasted.
ive been looking for someone who keeps reptiles to take the poorly chicks here and there, plus I’ll be making sex links again. Once covid passes I’ll probably contact some stores and rescues to see if they want free feeders. I don’t currently know anyone who has any, but my daughter has been wanting a snake, I told her not until next year tho, I want to make sure it’s something she really wants and not just a fleeting thing, she’s been persistent for nearly a year so far, we went to a pet expo and some sales guy put a tiny snake in her hands and now here we are lol.

Update: it turns out 3 of the chicks are albino so the blindness is caused by that, which is probably inbreeding, not the fault of the silver gene, but silver is still iffy I think.
I’ve had the very same thing, hatched some ssc eggs and some came out albino and bulging eyes. I also think because of inbreeding for the seller to sell these silver hatching eggs. I’ve read that you can cross silver to anything else and the offsprings should give you some silver and no defects.

I’ve had the very same thing, hatched some ssc eggs and some came out albino and bulging eyes. I also think because of inbreeding for the seller to sell these silver hatching eggs. I’ve read that you can cross silver to anything else and the offsprings should give you some silver and no defects.
I had purchased these with the intention to cross to my celadons which are not silver. Since silver is dominant, you can cross to non silver and get a mixed result.

I believe the variation stems from silver being incomplete dominant, so some of the other genes bleed thru and affect the overall look.

As far as homozygous silver, I ordered snowies from Myshire, and only 14 of 39 chicks were snowy. Of the snowies, 1/3 are blind, and it’s the most white ones it seems. I also have one who is very small and not growing feathers, and one with a head deformity, both the very white ones. So I’m guessing they are homozygous for silver. They have some silver, or at least a bit of silvery sheen, I think next to a Texas A&M or English white, they would have bit different look. But this is just a guess.
Is pebble still ok

Is pebble still ok
I was going to post an update tomorrow, Pebble and the albinos are doing great. Pebble and the smallest albino are feathering in nicely. I put the normal one who had the twisted foot, (but I had taped and immobilized it and he can walk with a minor limp now) into the main brooder, he’s as feathered as them but still a bit smaller. I plan to keep Pebble and the albinos separate, I might make them a small handicapped pen outdoors, or keep them indoors, I’m not sure yet. I might make a new long term thread showing my celadon snowie project.

I was going to post an update tomorrow, Pebble and the albinos are doing great. Pebble and the smallest albino are feathering in nicely. I put the normal one who had the twisted foot, (but I had taped and immobilized it and he can walk with a minor limp now) into the main brooder, he’s as feathered as them but still a bit smaller. I plan to keep Pebble and the albinos separate, I might make them a small handicapped pen outdoors, or keep them indoors, I’m not sure yet. I might make a new long term thread showing my celadon snowie project.
A couple pics to tide you over, the albinos, and a lavender pearl.
877E0D94-3F02-4D3B-BA5E-0B8C104C20BB.jpeg
01CCE7E2-2CB8-4D81-97B8-59E925C7CD59.jpeg

A couple pics to tide you over, the albinos, and a lavender pearl.

That's cool that you're working on snowy celadons! I want to breed silver, roux, and the extended brown gene to celadons to get silver roux rosetta, silver rosetta, silver tibetan, and silver roux tibetan. I've tried to research what these colors look like but it seems nobody knows. The mystery of what these colors will look like drives me to breed them and document them for the Coturnix quail community. As for why I want to breed the celadon gene on top of it . . . they are expensive in my area. Selling celadon eggs for about a month out of the year should cover my feed costs for the entire year.

There are some things I don't understand about the silver gene. Homogenous silver gives an all-white bird, but does homogenous silver also give an albino? Is an albino always the result of homogenous silver?

I remember Coturnix Corner did a special with Perry Schofield. Perry said that he can breed silver X silver for 3-4 generations before crossing back to a different color due to issues. But breeding silver X silver means at least 25% of the offspring will be homogenous for silver. Does that mean that no matter how unrelated two silvers are, 25% of the offspring will have issues/fail?

That's cool that you're working on snowy celadons! I want to breed silver, roux, and the extended brown gene to celadons to get silver roux rosetta, silver rosetta, silver tibetan, and silver roux tibetan. I've tried to research what these colors look like but it seems nobody knows. The mystery of what these colors will look like drives me to breed them and document them for the Coturnix quail community. As for why I want to breed the celadon gene on top of it . . . they are expensive in my area. Selling celadon eggs for about a month out of the year should cover my feed costs for the entire year.

There are some things I don't understand about the silver gene. Homogenous silver gives an all-white bird, but does homogenous silver also give an albino? Is an albino always the result of homogenous silver?

I remember Coturnix Corner did a special with Perry Schofield. Perry said that he can breed silver X silver for 3-4 generations before crossing back to a different color due to issues. But breeding silver X silver means at least 25% of the offspring will be homogenous for silver. Does that mean that no matter how unrelated two silvers are, 25% of the offspring will have issues/fail?
From what I understand, silver to silver will always produce some white chicks. My chicks are white with more a rich purple eye color, like red haze over black, so I think they are incomplete albinos, which is probably what the double silver gene produces but I’m uncertain. It is probably like the difference between ruby eyed white rats and pink eyed white rats.

My plan is to put a silver male over my Tibetan tux hens, and I will put my scarlet and Egyptian males over silver hens, and I’ll see what that produces, either way, they’re all celadon carriers. If the 2 albinos who don’t have a bug eyegrow up and are otherwise healthy, I may breed them to a non silver to see if all the offspring are silver, then I will know that those whites are homozygous for silver.

I plan to keep a breeding group of silver pearl fee females (snowies) and pearl fee males, all celadons. But that’s probably more than a year away.

Back
Top Bottom