Silver Gene

I think it would help, a lot of people in my area don't know how color genetics or the celadon gene works. I remember trying to see if any of the local backyard celadon lines advertised on craigslist bred any roux offspring. Nobody knew what I was asking for, I had to send massive, detailed emails with picture references of the roux colors so people could understandand.

I think it would help, a lot of people in my area don't know how color genetics or the celadon gene works. I remember trying to see if any of the local backyard celadon lines advertised on craigslist bred any roux offspring. Nobody knew what I was asking for, I had to send massive, detailed emails with picture references of the roux colors so people could understandand.
If you are near central/ north nj, I breed celadon roux, both Egyptian and scarlet. I have an adult Rosetta boy from a sex link hatch who is on borrowed time lol. Someone was supposed to buy him yesterday, and I got the run around all day and he’s still here haha. I have a scarlet boy who needs to move out of the growout, but can’t til he’s gone.

Unfortunately, I live a long way away in SoCal. Also, it turns out my scarlet hen lays some really unique eggs. I'm really not sure whether she is a celadon layer but she lays some really unique colored eggs. For a while, she and the scarlet roo who came with her were the only breeding/laying birds. So I incubated some of her eggs to see if the offspring's eggs looked more like celadons. Here's a picture of her eggs, the offspring are not laying yet. I posted pictures of her eggs to the celadon facebook page and most told me it was a unique looking non-celadon egg. Maybe you think she is a celadon layer?
Photo Aug 30, 5 09 30 PM.jpg Photo Sep 02, 9 21 39 PM.jpg

Unfortunately, I live a long way away in SoCal. Also, it turns out my scarlet hen lays some really unique eggs. I'm really not sure whether she is a celadon layer but she lays some really unique colored eggs. For a while, she and the scarlet roo who came with her were the only breeding/laying birds. So I incubated some of her eggs to see if the offspring's eggs looked more like celadons. Here's a picture of her eggs, the offspring are not laying yet. I posted pictures of her eggs to the celadon facebook page and most told me it was a unique looking non-celadon egg. Maybe you think she is a celadon layer?
View attachment 2396729View attachment 2396730
I recently read a study on quail when I was looking up supplements and stuff. It had identified different egg characteristics and the egg shell color is a different gene than the “paint” gene. It didn’t give any details on why most celadon layers produce lightly speckled eggs. But there are definitely different color shells under the paint, some lay cream, some blue, then the paint, some lightly speckle, some are almost all brown every time. I don’t know that anyone has done official published research on the way it all works to make lightly speckled blue eggs vs eggs blue on the inside, etc.

View attachment 2396729View attachment 2396730
Thatooks like the eggs that my hen Speckles lays. She came out of a celadon egg.

So, totally new here, introduced myself on the main social area and I'll probably talking completely out of my butt, BUT, I geek out over quail genetics. I came for the silvers but will stay for the celadons. I am currently in the process of producing a homozygous male from 1 random celadon hen we got in a grab bag hatch. In the process I'm trying to test and determine if the whole "blue egg on the inside is heterozygous for the celadon gene." So far of the heterozygous females we've hatched they have been blue on the inside with a slight bluish tint on the outside. Tough part is my covey is split 50/50 blue or white on the inside and their genetic background is hazy. So once I produce my homozygous male the testing can really begin. I think that anyone who doesn't value a homozygous celadon roo has never attempted to start their own celadon line without one. Sorry to interrupt! Carry on!

So, totally new here, introduced myself on the main social area and I'll probably talking completely out of my butt, BUT, I geek out over quail genetics. I came for the silvers but will stay for the celadons. I am currently in the process of producing a homozygous male from 1 random celadon hen we got in a grab bag hatch. In the process I'm trying to test and determine if the whole "blue egg on the inside is heterozygous for the celadon gene." So far of the heterozygous females we've hatched they have been blue on the inside with a slight bluish tint on the outside. Tough part is my covey is split 50/50 blue or white on the inside and their genetic background is hazy. So once I produce my homozygous male the testing can really begin. I think that anyone who doesn't value a homozygous celadon roo has never attempted to start their own celadon line without one. Sorry to interrupt! Carry on!
With my last hatch, I ordered shipped eggs, and 1/3 were blue inside, but these were not a celadon order. I didn’t separate the eggs that were blue inside because I had too many to deal with all that, so I don’t know who hatched from what, but when I cross these silvers to my celadons, if any resulting hens lay blue, I’d say it’s a good indicator that blue inside means het hen.

With my last hatch, I ordered shipped eggs, and 1/3 were blue inside, but these were not a celadon order. I didn’t separate the eggs that were blue inside because I had too many to deal with all that, so I don’t know who hatched from what, but when I cross these silvers to my celadons, if any resulting hens lay blue, I’d say it’s a good indicator that blue inside means het hen.
Hmm... All of mine are blue on the inside (when they hatch and when they're boiled) so I never thought anything of it. Is this not how it is for everyone? Idk their history though since they're just pets from some breeder we hatched eggs from. None are celadons although I do want some!

Also, @HortonCreek, :welcome:jumpy

Hmm... All of mine are blue on the inside (when they hatch and when they're boiled) so I never thought anything of it. Is this not how it is for everyone? Idk their history though since they're just pets from some breeder we hatched eggs from. None are celadons although I do want some!

Also, @HortonCreek, :welcome:jumpy
Some people claim that eggs that are blue inside indicate the hen has 1 copy of the celadon gene. I haven’t seen any official science saying this tho. But if all of your eggs are blue inside, and you’ve raised multiple generations and not gotten unexpected celadon eggs from them , it probably isn’t accurate.

But eggs can be blue or cream/white inside. I saw an old paper online about someone getting spontaneous red/pink eggs, but I don’t know if that’s a trait that was ever spread. I have never had a blue egg that was cream colored inside, and if the genes were not related in some way, I would expect to find cream inside blue as well as blue inside cream. So perhaps it has some dependent relationship like harlequin and Merle in dogs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom