Silver Gene

Some people claim that eggs that are blue inside indicate the hen has 1 copy of the celadon gene. I haven’t seen any official science saying this tho. But if all of your eggs are blue inside, and you’ve raised multiple generations and not gotten u expected celadon eggs from them , it probably isn’t accurate.

But eggs can be blue or cream/white inside. I saw an old paper online about someone getting spontaneous red/pink eggs, but I don’t know if that’s a trait that was ever spread. I have never had a blue egg that was cream colored inside, and if the genes were not related in some way, I would expect to find cream inside blue as well as blue inside cream. So perhaps it has some dependent relationship like harlequin and Merle in dogs.

Good point on the celadon eggs never being cream inside. Very interesting thought to ponder.

Some people claim that eggs that are blue inside indicate the hen has 1 copy of the celadon gene. I haven’t seen any official science saying this tho. But if all of your eggs are blue inside, and you’ve raised multiple generations and not gotten unexpected celadon eggs from them , it probably isn’t accurate.

But eggs can be blue or cream/white inside. I saw an old paper online about someone getting spontaneous red/pink eggs, but I don’t know if that’s a trait that was ever spread. I have never had a blue egg that was cream colored inside, and if the genes were not related in some way, I would expect to find cream inside blue as well as blue inside cream. So perhaps it has some dependent relationship like harlequin and Merle in dogs.

I have only raised one generation from them, but they were all roos :barnie so they were rehomed to a friend's house. We have eggs in the incubator due for next Monday :woot (3 were fertile and developed out of a bunch so :(:)). Hopefully there will be at least one girl so I can see what her eggs look like!

Also I feel dumb now because all the candling pics show cream insides and all my eggs were nasty green color :oops:so I was super worried all of them were bad, lol!

I have only raised one generation from them, but they were all roos :barnie so they were rehomed to a friend's house. We have eggs in the incubator due for next Monday :woot (3 were fertile and developed out of a bunch so :(:)). Hopefully there will be at least one girl so I can see what her eggs look like!

Also I feel dumb now because all the candling pics show cream insides and all my eggs were nasty green color :oops:so I was super worried all of them were bad, lol!
I have eggs hatching this weekend, then I think the following Wednesday or so I have my big incubator hatching. The fertility has fallen a bit, I had 7 clears out of 43, and 2 blood rings. I think it’s a combo of the birds had been molting, constant rain and eggs layed in mud, plus the season seems to lag the fertility a bit from what I’ve read. I have like 105 in the big bator, I didn’t candle them all, I just spot checked a few, so it’ll be a surprise lol.

I have eggs hatching this weekend, then I think the following Wednesday or so I have my big incubator hatching. The fertility has fallen a bit, I had 7 clears out of 43, and 2 blood rings. I think it’s a combo of the birds had been molting, constant rain and eggs layed in mud, plus the season seems to lag the fertility a bit from what I’ve read. I have like 105 in the big bator, I didn’t candle them all, I just spot checked a few, so it’ll be a surprise lol.
105!!! :eek: I could never candle that many!!! I love to candle because its so cool you can see them moving but 105 eggs, I could never! Dang that must be a lot of chicks in your brooder lol! Okay, I'll admit it, maybe I have small hatches compared to the rest of the quail world, but 10 chicks is a lot for me, haha. 24 in the bator, 3 develop 😐. Season change is a good explanation for fertility drop, I noticed that happening too (our male drew blood so he's in quail jail for his crimes so that's another reason for the drop that I didn't think about before the incubation :oops:.) Good luck with your hatch(s)!!! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

105!!! :eek: I could never candle that many!!! I love to candle because its so cool you can see them moving but 105 eggs, I could never! Dang that must be a lot of chicks in your brooder lol! Okay, I'll admit it, maybe I have small hatches compared to the rest of the quail world, but 10 chicks is a lot for me, haha. 24 in the bator, 3 develop 😐. Season change is a good explanation for fertility drop, I noticed that happening too (our male drew blood so he's in quail jail for his crimes so that's another reason for the drop that I didn't think about before the incubation :oops:.) Good luck with your hatch(s)!!! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy
These are all to sell. I only like to keep 10 or so chicks at a time, my current snowies are ALOT to have at once, and I gave away 12 lol. I still have 22 tho. Hopefully all the new chicks will sell, and put me on track to making the big bator worth the money.

I’m going to build a new pen for the snowies, and I’m going to fill the grow out with sex link producers, I don’t plan to really keep any until the snowies off spring hatch, which won’t be for like 10 weeks haha, so I’ll put the pen to use.

Back
Top Bottom