Silver laced Cochin Bantams

Pics
I just sold 2 SL 10 month old hens. They weren't showable though, so went to a lovely farm home to be yard decoration. :) Bought me a bag of feed with the money! One hardly had toe feathers and no bun...the other had bad lacing and such long wings that the feathers bent at the ends from when she roosted. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

I was told this boy is a Silver Tipped Cochin Bantam. Is that right? And is that even the same as a SL? New to breeding and haven't quite figured out the breed I should stick to yet.

He's young here, he's now about a year and a half and just became a father yesterday. It's still cold here so the hens took a long time to lay.

Last edited:
Ill get a better picture once I have their new coop set up. Both birds parents are suppose to be brought over from the states. And he does have super feathery feet.

The man I got them from is the only breeder I could find in Sask. He does lots of different breeds, but since I'm so new to this, I just had to take his word for it.

I did see his farm and all the birds are well taken care of and he has excellent breeding pens with trios of his breeding stock. So I figured getting my birds from him would be my best bet to try my hand at it before really seeing what breed I want to strive towards.

Since to get 'great' breeding stock birds is to ship long distance.

hi i have a silver hen and a copper roo...when we hatch their eggs will we end up with a mix of the two colors or with one or the other ? In my mind i see the colors being mixed but read somewhere that the batch will split on either of the colors?

here's the photo..little buts would run out if i went in coop an then on outside would run in LOL but i got a few pics. I'm now unsure if one of the cochins is a roo i know my seabright is. I guess my cochin would be a Gold not a copper sorry bout mix up.

Last edited:
well, I think my silver laced breeding is at an end this year... I lost 2 of my girls (the only completely laced and the best typed) to a predator, and the third girl is now broody. now where to put the 2 birds so I can put someone else in that pen.

I've got a nice unrelated cockerel growing out with good lacing (and yellow feet!) who will replace the current rooster, plus probably 5 or 6 other chicks, 2 of which are cockerels for sure, but the lacing I'm seeing isn't hopeful. we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom