Silver laced Cochin Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fancychickenlover, Feb 26, 2012.

1. shellchic

shellchic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Houston Texas
    Thank you very much for your help I don't know how, but I just realized. Someone actually replied. Forgive my ignorance. How do I email you? I'M not seeing an email. Address. I've got a lot of questions regarding. Chickens period lol. Thanks again,Shellie

2. AndyCap

AndyCap Chillin' With My Peeps

Just noticed a typo in my reply. Dominant white is I and recessive is c. You can pm me if you like, i am also learning though:)

3. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut

Shy, he's ADORABLE! I was hoping to let my little ones grow up a bit and see what (if anything) I even have to work with!
    I'm still sorting through the genetics in my head... So he would be best crossed back to Silver laced hens, right? I have 2 chicks and am praying I have a least one girl (so far my Calicos look to be 5 girls & 1 boy. What are the chances my luck will hold?). If not, crossing him to Columbian will give me what? My brain says 50/50 chance of incomplete pattern vs. no pattern. Do I have that right?
    Are you planning to keep him around a while???

1 person likes this.
  4. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

U
    He would be best crossed to silver laced and some babies may have some pattern. But mainly he'd contribute good body type.
    He is just starting to crow and am full roosters so he's gonna go to a sale tomorrow. But i've hatched five from the parent birds and a couple more eggs yet to hatch so likely another few males available later.

5. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    What do you think? Have I got a PAIR? I read that the more white on the wings can be an indicator.

[​IMG]

6. chick-among-us

chick-among-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas
    Hi I just read that SL Cochins are rare? Is this true ?

7. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    In my opinion silver laced cochins are not rare, however, anything of decent quality is extremely rare. Many hatcheries still produce them on a large scale, but with low quality. The problem is that there are very few breeders that are working with them trying to improve type.

8. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota

I've never found that to be true. You'll have to wait until they're old enough to show comb and wattle development.

9. chick-among-us

chick-among-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas
    I have 4 SL Cochin boys would love critique on them if y'all are up to it?

10. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I'm not as experienced as some of the others on this thread, but I'd love to see some pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by