Silver laced Orpingtons what sex ?

Barn6566

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
I am being told so many things about sex of silver laced orpingtons. I think I have 2 Roos and 5 hens if I am correct! Please help they are 7 weeks! I think number 1 hen, number 2/3 roos and number 4 a hen????? Their feathering is so different in the two! I think the two Roos have less black, less feathers and smaller birds ! Some have heavy feathers and really red combs. Help please!

Attachments

• IMG_9723.jpeg
    IMG_9723.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9743.jpeg
    IMG_9743.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9712.jpeg
    IMG_9712.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9698.jpeg
    IMG_9698.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 44
I'm not very good at this, but here's my guess. The first 2 are pullets and the 4th is a roo. I can't see the 3rd well enough to say though.

Please help they are 7 weeks!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Where are they from? Hatchery, breeder, feed store, etc? Supposed to be sexed or straight run?

Only 4 birds are seen, making it hard to confirm if you may be correct about all 7 gender guesses. None of them have what I would call a really red comb? Are there pics I'm not seeing?

The comb and wattle development is about the only thing that can be counted right now.

I mean the last one isn't silver laced at all or very poorly bred.. Is it still a project color for Orps? That bird looks more blue, to me. Also looks like it has white earlobes or is that an optical illusion? (possibly just the juvenile white skin that hasn't reddened yet but will as hormones come on??) The pinkness seen in the comb looks more like temperature or activity flushing than hormonal at this point. There's no wattles to match. I would still be paying attention for any later bloomers, but not technically worried about the ones I can currently see or thinking cockerel in any way. :confused:

Top two pics still pullet colored and sized combs and waddles.

I can't make out the head of the bottom right one to make out any details aside from it looks like may actually be silver laced (technically more like black laced silver).. Sometimes that very slow feathering is cockerel related but not always.

Different thickness in lacing is usually a different phenotype (visual genetic) thing not relevant to gender.. but not uncommon in the laced breeds.. one of the things I like as a pet keeper making them easier to tell apart.. but I *bet* is one of the huge challenges to breeding laced breeds.

All my statements regarding breeding quality are just for friendly discussion and not mean't to put down your sweeties!

I'm not very good at this, but here's my guess. The first 2 are pullets and the 4th is a roo. I can't see the 3rd well enough to say though.
Haha May never get these birds sexed everyone has different ways of determining sex! Lol so apparently slower developing feathers has nothing to do with sex! I’m even more confused now after this post responses lol

Haha May never get these birds sexed everyone has different ways of determining sex! Lol so apparently slower developing feathers has nothing to do with sex! I’m even more confused now after this post responses lol
Thanks for your guesses

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Where are they from? Hatchery, breeder, feed store, etc? Supposed to be sexed or straight run?

Only 4 birds are seen, making it hard to confirm if you may be correct about all 7 gender guesses. None of them have what I would call a really red comb? Are there pics I'm not seeing?

The comb and wattle development is about the only thing that can be counted right now.

I mean the last one isn't silver laced at all or very poorly bred.. Is it still a project color for Orps? That bird looks more blue, to me. Also looks like it has white earlobes or is that an optical illusion? (possibly just the juvenile white skin that hasn't reddened yet but will as hormones come on??) The pinkness seen in the comb looks more like temperature or activity flushing than hormonal at this point. There's no wattles to match. I would still be paying attention for any later bloomers, but not technically worried about the ones I can currently see or thinking cockerel in any way. :confused:

Top two pics still pullet colored and sized combs and waddles.

I can't make out the head of the bottom right one to make out any details aside from it looks like may actually be silver laced (technically more like black laced silver).. Sometimes that very slow feathering is cockerel related but not always.

Different thickness in lacing is usually a different phenotype (visual genetic) thing not relevant to gender.. but not uncommon in the laced breeds.. one of the things I like as a pet keeper making them easier to tell apart.. but I *bet* is one of the huge challenges to breeding laced breeds.

All my statements regarding breeding quality are just for friendly discussion and not mean't to put down your sweeties!
They came from Chickens for Backyard Hatchery that only offered straight run. They are looking like all the silvers I had searched and looked at. Many if the birds are beginning to bulk up. I did not post photos of all seven birds it is hard to tell them apart. Posted ones I felt I knew what they were. Two birds are extremely different in feathering than rest of the birds! Interesting idea about different lacing being a different phenotype not sex related. I am just a pet person having fun with my birds and trying to figure out whether I have hens or cockerels. Been told feathering, color wadddles, slower development, leg width, comb color, and then been told none of that stuff works lol ! I guess just still too early to tell. First photo from hatcheries site rest my chicks. I just can’t keep the Roos will get rid of when they start crowing lol! Thanks for your input !

Attachments

• IMG_9704.jpeg
    IMG_9704.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9688.jpeg
    IMG_9688.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9687.jpeg
    IMG_9687.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9685.jpeg
    IMG_9685.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9684.jpeg
    IMG_9684.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9617.jpeg
    IMG_9617.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9747.jpeg
    IMG_9747.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 22
I breed Silver-laced Orpingtons, so let's see if I can be any help.

1684936881864.png
- Pullet
1684936901779.png
- Cockerel.
1684936972287.png
- Cockerel
1684936993629.png
- Cockerel
1684937017919.png
- Really hard to make out these two. I'd think cockerels based on the thickness of the legs, size of the feet, and the development of the comb.
1684937149597.png
-Cockerel
1684937184639.png
- Again hard to make out much, but I can see the thickness on the leg and that would make me lean cockerel. The feathering indicates cockerel as well.
1684937241928.png
- Pullet

Where abouts are you located? I don't guess you're in Texas? lol I need some new males and wouldn't mind growing the cockerels up once you're certain on sex.

so apparently slower developing feathers has nothing to do with sex!
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.. Also about the other stuff you mentioned.. it can be VERY very subjective is the main issue with any of it having accuracy.. so many details matter like age, breed, line, etc.

There is virtually no homogenization or serious uniformity in hatchery birds.. as they're rarely selected for those qualities... breeders for show will be trying to get the lacing with crisp black lines and clean white insides. Still silver laced is one of the less common varieties seen in Orp (in the US).. not surprising to see challenges of breeding or differences.

There is a fast feather gene or a slow feather gene carried by each breed is usually specific to one or the other (or something to that effect).. when crossed can be sex linked.. but the wing feather sex linking trait is only valid for like the first 3 days.

On occasion in laced breed the males will be missing the lacing on their shoulder giving it more of wide solid bar appearance, see (more readily available *Wyandotte* example from google images/Hoover's hatchery).. You can see in the first pic the female is also experiencing some poor quality lacing. Those long pointy saddle feathers seen don't START before 9-10 weeks or become more flowing until closer to 16. (sometimes lacing or pattern can make round feathers LOOK pointed.. placing your hand or sheet of paper behind can help determine the difference..
1684937014863.png

This one from dunlap hatchery..
1684937234144.png

1684950379335.png

1684950408129.png

That one that's still not feathered at all might be male but also that's maybe just got the really short end of the genetic stick.. I've seen it happen once or twice out of about 1000 chicks from my own (Marans) stock.

They came from Chickens for Backyard Hatchery that only offered straight run. They are looking like all the silvers I had searched and looked at.
Ah, they're a drop shipper that uses several different hatcheries, IIRC.

I think you're right. What I said looked blue to me.. probably just juvenile still feathering in.. I was expecting it be more laced looking already.. but may still be a bit early, it's been a really long time since I raised any breeds in that variety.. Orp were slow developing in MY experience.. one reason why I went away from them.. but that CAN vary by line AND individual also. Sorry for so much confusion. Hope some of it at least makes sense.. please use what you can and set aside or disregard what feels like nonsense or irrelevance.

But let me put another little bug in your brain for funsies.. Hens can crow, (pullets rarely ever do), Hens can grow spurs, sometimes common in Mediterranean breeds, but I've also seen it on elder Wyandotte ladies or others. If the ovary is damaged a hen can molt in male specific feathering. Roosters can be hen feathered (like Seabright) sit on and brood eggs (game type are more prone).. Oh and clucking, calling to treats.. is something hens do to for their babies and roosters do also for their ladies.. so many things can cross over.. A rooster has never laid an egg thus far, though I have seen one accused by another poster when presumed hen and seen standing over an egg! :p

Anyone with red combs or wattles to match.. that isn't just activity or temperature related flushing at this stated age.. and even for the next few weeks would be considered most likely cockerel.. Lighting effects what's seen, even nearby reflections do (regarding comb/wattle color).. my screen and eyes are crud and the angles of pics aren't quite right (effecting waddle size perception), etc.. Maybe someone else will be able to give more clear answers than myself. The more I learn, the more I forget. Trying to think of someone who I think of as enjoying this "game" maybe also consdier themselves good at it, @Rhodebar Lover or @JedJackson ? Tia, sorry if I got it wrong!

They should be beautiful birds as they continue to mature!

Back
Top Bottom