Silver laced Wyandotte’s 43 weeks not laying?

Where do you live? I have 30 week old Wyandottes that have still not begun to lay. I live in Montana and our daylight hours are already less than 12 hours a day, which is what is reportedly what hens need to stimulate laying. I could add artificial light to the coop to extend the day, but have decided to just bide my time. I may start lighting the coop in January to stimulate them to lay eggs sooner than the natural light would allow, which might be as late as April. By then they will be a year old!

Where do you live? I have 30 week old Wyandottes that have still not begun to lay. I live in Montana and our daylight hours are already less than 12 hours a day, which is what is reportedly what hens need to stimulate laying. I could add artificial light to the coop to extend the day, but have decided to just bide my time. I may start lighting the coop in January to stimulate them to lay eggs sooner than the natural light would allow, which might be as late as April. By then they will be a year old!
We are in the Blue Mountains NSW Austraila, they started laying around 50 weeks I’ve heard they do take a while to lay, but they are so so sweet I didn’t care!

I’ve got 14 red Wyandottes that are 35 weeks and haven’t laid an egg yet. I grew up on a farm and have had chickens for 30+ years and have never seen anything like this. Domoniques gotten at the same time are, as usual, laying machines. The RWs get the same light and the same food and the same water and the same etc. etc. and just simply don’t lay. Even my old silver and golds are putting a couple eggs out a week and the three of them are 4 years old. I’ve got 14 duds.

I’ve got 14 red Wyandottes that are 35 weeks and haven’t laid an egg yet. I grew up on a farm and have had chickens for 30+ years and have never seen anything like this. Domoniques gotten at the same time are, as usual, laying machines. The RWs get the same light and the same food and the same water and the same etc. etc. and just simply don’t lay. Even my old silver and golds are putting a couple eggs out a week and the three of them are 4 years old. I’ve got 14 duds.
It's tricky for some pullet breeds to lay during winter. It boils down to there genetic background. That said, it sound like they need more time.

My golden laced Wyandotte took 46 to 47 weeks to start and wasn't very consistent.

Back
Top Bottom