Silver-laced Wyandotte, 7-8 weeks

atarev

Hatching
Oct 11, 2016

The two black and silver ones are the birds in question, the one on the left is the one I am suspecting cockerel because of the more pronounced contrasting white and black below the hackles, plus the much redder comb and wattles. The one on the right I believe to be the pullet. They are the same age. Any other input would be appreciated!

The two black and silver ones are the birds in question, the one on the left is the one I am suspecting cockerel because of the more pronounced contrasting white and black below the hackles, plus the much redder comb and wattles. The one on the right I believe to be the pullet. They are the same age. Any other input would be appreciated!
One very obviously is a cockerel. The others look female.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. Disappointing, but not all that surprising. Now the question is do we let them make some chicks, or do I just make dinner :)

Depends on if he turns into a jerk or not. At only 8 weeks old, he is still just a baby. It's not until after 20 weeks or later that a male really starts to show what kind of rooster he has the potential to become.

I didn't realize there was a lot of variation. I'm not particularly interested in listening to the crowing, anyway though. What should I look out for?

Indications that a cockerel isn't worth keeping around for fertile eggs include biting, wing flapping, flaring hackles at you, not getting out of your way, 'stalking' you as you do chores, or dipping his shoulder towards you. You also don't want to keep a boy that is too rough when breeding the hens, or doesn't take care of and tend to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom