Silver laced Wyandotte gender?

JoleneNoel

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
I have 8 silver laced Wyandotte’s that are about 10 weeks old. I’m finding more and more feathers everywhere so I’m not sure what’s going on with all the fighting if they are all hens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 25
I’m watching them more and more and I could be completely wrong but I think I have a hen who is watching over chicks that aren’t hers. She is nasty to the other chickens and won’t let them near her group. Even though they are all the same age “she” has always fluffed up her fluff and they stuck close to her. Or she is a rooster thinking he needs to protect his little group. Either way they’ve all been separated before there is blood. But it all started when one of the other slw went after our Jersey Giant chick who is still pretty small. Once it started crying all hell broke loose and I have no idea how to handle it.
597187DB-C600-4A9F-85AD-FF7866D3F234.jpeg
E819376C-6E14-4EDB-AB50-B0E68D8AA076.jpeg

I’m watching them more and more and I could be completely wrong but I think I have a hen who is watching over chicks that aren’t hers. She is nasty to the other chickens and won’t let them near her group. Even though they are all the same age “she” has always fluffed up her fluff and they stuck close to her. Or she is a rooster thinking he needs to protect his little group. Either way they’ve all been separated before there is blood. But it all started when one of the other slw went after our Jersey Giant chick who is still pretty small. Once it started crying all hell broke loose and I have no idea how to handle it.View attachment 2144519View attachment 2144520

Number #1 That comb is kinda red??????

These are the friendliest towards people and I do love them! I thought they were hens from the beginning and have named them after my mother’s sisters... I’m just not sure what to do about all the aggressive behavior. Everyone is scared it’s beyond pecking order it to the point where a few are willing to fight till death.

These are the friendliest towards people and I do love them! I thought they were hens from the beginning and have named them after my mother’s sisters... I’m just not sure what to do about all the aggressive behavior. Everyone is scared it’s beyond pecking order it to the point where a few are willing to fight till death.

Here's a suggestion. When I put my babies to bed it's dark in the coop. I bring out a flashlight and I point in toward the floor as I sing their nightly lullaby. And I pat them. Chickens have very poor to no night vision. They don't even know I am there. I think it is a good way to socialize them. They get used to you touching them. Might make them calm down. Can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom