Silver laced wyandotte getting double laced feathers

queenie_29

Chirping
Aug 11, 2021
NSW, Australia
Hi everyone,
I have a silver laced wyandotte who turns 1 in a few days. She is just coming out of her first moult, and we are noticing that all the new feathers on her back are double laced! I have attached some pictures from before her moult and now.

I have done some research by I can't find any causes for this pattern change - of course she will always be beautiful, but I am curious to see if anyone here has experienced anything similar? She also seems to be spending a bit more time in the nesting box even though she isn't laying yet, but she's definitely not broody.

As far as we know she is pure wyandotte :)

Attachments

• after 2.jpg
    after 2.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 131
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8721.jpg
    IMG_8721.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 65
She is just coming out of her first moult, and we are noticing that all the new feathers on her back are double laced!
That's even cooler than double lacing.. almost like snowflakes. She is gorgeous! :love

I believe you are correct about her being pure SLW.

I'm gonna figure it's a genetic mutation.. No, I've never seen this before, but am fascinated by genetics. I think the following link might be able to give a good grasp at least on the possibilities of HOW it happens or what factors might be involved.. Some things, show up with age.. maybe due to hormonal influences activating something that was otherwise dormant OR genes just not replicating accurately anymore..

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2109363118

Hope this helps! :fl

That's even cooler than double lacing.. almost like snowflakes. She is gorgeous! :love

I believe you are correct about her being pure SLW.

I'm gonna figure it's a genetic mutation.. No, I've never seen this before, but am fascinated by genetics. I think the following link might be able to give a good grasp at least on the possibilities of HOW it happens or what factors might be involved.. Some things, show up with age.. maybe due to hormonal influences activating something that was otherwise dormant OR genes just not replicating accurately anymore..

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2109363118

Hope this helps! :fl
That's really helpful, thanks so much :)

Hi everyone,
I have a silver laced wyandotte who turns 1 in a few days. She is just coming out of her first moult, and we are noticing that all the new feathers on her back are double laced! I have attached some pictures from before her moult and now.

I have done some research by I can't find any causes for this pattern change - of course she will always be beautiful, but I am curious to see if anyone here has experienced anything similar? She also seems to be spending a bit more time in the nesting box even though she isn't laying yet, but she's definitely not broody.

As far as we know she is pure wyandotte :)
My golden laced girl did the same thing! I just noticed it today. She and all of her flock-mates turned two in June and are mostly wrapping up their fall molt. We have another GLW girl who has stayed single-laced and for a moment I thought I was having one of those "Mandela Effect" moments, lol. I've just been scouring through older photos to make sure I saw things correctly back then. At least now I know I haven't lost my mind. I've attached a photo. Earlier this year, the GLW on the right looked just like the one on the left.

Attachments

• 312057048_10221408541063680_1166885605867200735_n.jpg
    312057048_10221408541063680_1166885605867200735_n.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 56

Back
Top Bottom