Silver Laced Wyandotte Lacing question

emartin

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
We have 10 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets and they have HORRIBLE lacing....their feathers are mostly black.

Is their silver lacing something that gets better or corrects itself after the first molt, or did I just get unlucky with a bad strain?

~Ed

I think it develops slowly over time , 10 weeks is pretty early, i have a silver laced roo and he's 3.5 months and looks different than he did a month ago...

Nancy

Quote:
I agree...my 2 SLWs are both hatchery chickens (Ideal) & their lace is beginning to really show, as they are around 3 months now. They are looking gorgeous
big_smile.png

At 10 weeks they are still in their juvenile plumage which will be mostly black. They have another molt to go. Give them time they'll probably get better.

I've had hatchery SLWs in the past and I always kept hoping their lacing would get better over time as they matured....it does change somewhat, but it wasn't until I got some SLW eggs from a couple of breeders that I really saw the difference in quality. Those chicks had good lacing from the beginning.

I've added some pictures of mine at 6 weeks. I need to get some newer pictures of them now that they're older.
100_1185.jpg
100_1187.jpg
100_1186.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Katy! You said those were from breeder stock right?

Mine look like crap compared to yours...and mine are older!

~Ed

Back
Top Bottom