Silver Laced Wyandotte Lacing question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emartin, Jun 8, 2009.

1. emartin

emartin Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    We have 10 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets and they have HORRIBLE lacing....their feathers are mostly black.

Is their silver lacing something that gets better or corrects itself after the first molt, or did I just get unlucky with a bad strain?

~Ed

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If you got birds from a hatchery...it's more than probable that the lacing will not get any better.

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I think it develops slowly over time , 10 weeks is pretty early, i have a silver laced roo and he's 3.5 months and looks different than he did a month ago...

Nancy

4. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:I agree...my 2 SLWs are both hatchery chickens (Ideal) & their lace is beginning to really show, as they are around 3 months now. They are looking gorgeous [​IMG]

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    At 10 weeks they are still in their juvenile plumage which will be mostly black. They have another molt to go. Give them time they'll probably get better.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had hatchery SLWs in the past and I always kept hoping their lacing would get better over time as they matured....it does change somewhat, but it wasn't until I got some SLW eggs from a couple of breeders that I really saw the difference in quality. Those chicks had good lacing from the beginning.

I've added some pictures of mine at 6 weeks. I need to get some newer pictures of them now that they're older.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ooooh, Katy, those are purdy!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Thanks!

9. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Wow Katy! I wish mine had that kind of coloring [​IMG]

10. emartin

emartin Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Nice Katy! You said those were from breeder stock right?

Mine look like crap compared to yours...and mine are older!

~Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: