Question about Silver laced Polish

Dreamers Nook

Songster
Aug 17, 2023
Hello,
I have a question about Silver laced Polish chickens. Out of 6 chicks (2 different batches a week separate age), I've only had 1 per batch survive. I've lost the rest within 72 hrs, most within first 24 hrs. All appeared weak upon arrival so I am amazed any survived. I have all the vitamins and water supplements, use Purina Flock Raiser, and took care of pasty butt. I didn't have many issues with it in first batch, none for replacements.

My question is are they a delicate breed? Or could the hatchery have weak batches? They came from Ideal.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Crested birds can sometimes be a bit more delicate. Shipping stress if often the cause of losses and heat during shipping could be a problem as well.

How long were they in transit? Coming from Ideal which is in Texas, the chicks may have suffered some heat stress along the way too.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Crested birds can sometimes be a bit more delicate. Shipping stress if often the cause of losses and heat during shipping could be a problem as well.

How long were they in transit? Coming from Ideal which is in Texas, the chicks may have suffered some heat stress along the way too.
Thank you. Both took 2 days transit shipped Tues afternoon, I picked them up the Thurs morning, but seemed both times they were delayed in Denver. The first for a day even.

I kinda thought this was perhaps the case, but wanted to be sure. They are lovely chickens. Well I have 2 so am excited to see how they turn out. The oldest seemed to lose the "muff", and is turning light silverish. Can't wait till all get their adult feathers.

Back
Top Bottom