YellowRoseFarm

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Texas
Hi all,

I ended up with 4 roosters from the Lavender Orpington bin at TSC and one of them is just such a sweet boy I'm thinking of keeping him. I have a mixed flock and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with crossing a LO rooster with any of the following:

- white cochin
- black cochin
- black Jersey giant
- silver laced wyandotte

I have a mixed flock and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with crossing a LO rooster with any of the following:
Lavender being recessive and taking two copies to show will breed as black when bred to other colors..

So depending on whether the white for Cochin is dominant or recessive (I'm not sure).. you will get black or white offspring. If the white is indeed dominant.. the offspring may be Paint (white with black spots). If it's recessive white then the offspring will be black. Legs will be feathered.

Crossed to the black Cochin.. offspring will be black (split for lav) with feathered legs and straight combs..

Crossed to the BJG.. Clean legged black offspring with straight combs. (as mentioned by the other poster.. all should be split for lav.. so will throw 50% lav bred to each other or 100% lav when bred back to lav)

Crossed to SLW.. IF your hen is homozygous for Rose comb (Or RR) then all offspring will have rose combs. If your hen is heterogeneous (Rr).. then you would get 50/50 rose or straight comb offspring (because straight is rr). Most likely black with silver leakage.. possibly some incomplete lacing or the like.

Happy chicken-eering! :wee

ETA: this is to the best of my recollection.. verification always recommended.

Lavender being recessive and taking two copies to show will breed as black when bred to other colors..

So depending on whether the white for Cochin is dominant or recessive (I'm not sure).. you will get black or white offspring. If the white is indeed dominant.. the offspring may be Paint (white with black spots). If it's recessive white then the offspring will be black. Legs will be feathered.

Crossed to the black Cochin.. offspring will be black (split for lav) with feathered legs and straight combs..

Crossed to the BJG.. Clean legged black offspring with straight combs. (as mentioned by the other poster.. all should be split for lav.. so will throw 50% lav bred to each other or 100% lav when bred back to lav)

Crossed to SLW.. IF your hen is homozygous for Rose comb (Or RR) then all offspring will have rose combs. If your hen is heterogeneous (Rr).. then you would get 50/50 rose or straight comb offspring (because straight is rr). Most likely black with silver leakage.. possibly some incomplete lacing or the like.

Happy chicken-eering! :wee

ETA: this is to the best of my recollection.. verification always recommended.
Thank you so much for this! I'm fascinated by genetics, and this gives me a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom