Silver laced Wyandotte-- pullet or cockerel?

bnb2108

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hi all, I posted here awhile ago and folks seemed to think my SLW, pickles, was a roo. I'm not convinced. He/she is about 13 weeks now. Any thoughts? What are the distinguishing features I should be looking for now? Thanks.

13 weeks:

6 weeks (comb had some convinced she's a he):

Based on the coloring I would guess pullet. The lacing is very even and all over. A roo would have big bands of white on the upper wings. I think I also see lacing on the tail which Roos don't get.

Based on the coloring I would guess pullet. The lacing is very even and all over. A roo would have big bands of white on the upper wings. I think I also see lacing on the tail which Roos don't get.

Thanks! I think she might be a pullet as well. I noticed today that her waddles have gotten a bit bigger (but still not remotely as big as the definite barred rock roo's) so I'm not feeling confident. Guess I'll just wait it out a bit longer and rehome if necessary.

I'd say that's very true for many breeds but Wyandottes can fool you. Mine had bigger, redder comb and wattles at 6 weeks and it turned out to be a pullet.

At 13 weeks it's not showing any male feathering or the typical roo coloring. There is also lacing on the tail. Wyandotte roos do not get lacing on their tail feathers.

@summerb123 Sorry, the top to photos are at 13 weeks, bottom two are 6 weeks. Sizing is hard to tell at 6 weeks, since I'm holding her, but she was pretty average size, though slightly larger than some of my other confirmed pullets. I agree the comb was pretty pink, which is not typical, but this my first SLW, so I wasn't sure...

Back
Top Bottom