Silver Laced Wyandotte sex...

HAHAHA!!! Why is it always the husbands who say, "AHHH! No more chickens!"
lau.gif
I have the same problem! HAHA! I have 12 chickens, and my husband says "No more, you crazy wife of mine! (heehee, though he loves me for my crazy! His life would be boring otherwise
lau.gif
) I share your sentiment in raising more chicks separately until they are old enough to be integrated into the bigger flock. There is a rule of thumb that helps avoid chicken bullying (since they are notoriously cliquish). The odds have be be equalized. Meaning, when two groups of chickens are introduced, they have to be equal in both number and size. If any group of chicks are less in number or less in size, they will be picked (or in this case, pecked) on.

Now I'm tempted to go find some more SLW chicks somewhere, but I just finished with the whole brooder/chicks in the garage bathroom and don't know if my husband would be happy with me starting it up again (before next year when I told him it will happen again
wink.png
). Plus then I'd have to deal with integrating them in with the older birds when they are big enough- and I don't know at what point they could be together (ages). Ugh. The worst thing is SLW roos are so pretty! I just don't want to keep any roos.
hmm.png
Hmmmmm...

Edited to correct spelling...
roll.png

Thanks for the tip on introducing new groups. This was an old post- so just to update, I did not get any more chicks at that point, and I did end up keeping the SLW Roo. He has happily been in with my 12 girls and things are going well for the most part. He's getting a little mean (with me, not them), but it's not too bad. I actually have a broody hen sitting on 6 eggs that I'm hoping will hatch around the 25th. I keep saying once I've hatched some chicks from him, I'm re-homing him... but who knows, we're kind of attached. ;)

So glad I found this SLW thread...I have a question I'm dying to hear an answer for: I have 2 SLW that I bought as hens when they were only hatchlings. Now, at 16 weeks old they are absolutely beautiful...and one is crowing. So much for the hens. But my question is, they BOTH have very prominent combs, the difference being, one has a single notched red comb and the other a double rose red comb???? Same hatching, same age. Do SLW have different comb types
What is the breed standard???
Please, someone, does anyone know?
Thank you...

Help can anyone help?!?! I have this cute little 'Silver Laced Wyandotte' chick. Its nearly 4 weeks old now but have photos from day one! What should i be looking out for when sexing?! She was born all black with a clear white spot/splodge on its head and white bum!! It stand upright sometimes and stands tall but im not sure if thats because its growing up with some bigger chicks! Here are the photos .. let me know what you think!!! THanks Jennie x

Being introduced to Jake for the first time!! ... In the background 'standing up' to the other chicklings ....

on the left hand side showing feathering on wings and white bum!!

what do we think?!?!?!

Back
Top Bottom