silver laced wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newchik715, Jan 26, 2011.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    I was thinking of picking some of these up from the feed store in February....for those that have this breed what do you think of them as far as temperament and egg production?

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Ive ordered 2 dozen wyandotte eggs to be delivered next month. I don't have any yet but from what I understand they are great layers and sweet birds. You may also want to check on the Wyandotte thread under the Breed section.

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I'm not sure about the silver laced but if they are anything like my golden laced wyandottes, they are very nice chickens to have. My girls are docile, easy to handle, give me nice large brown eggs and are great foragers. Dont tell them but they are also spoiled rotten. [​IMG] This is Betty. She is a little more aloof but nice.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had a SLW roo I didn't like...the hens were sweet though.

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    They are BEAUTIFUL birds. [​IMG]

6. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    I have two buff orps and two easter eggers right now. i used to have three of each but two died. anyway, i want to replace the two i lost and maybe add a couple. so four total. anyway i want good layers but almost more importantly i need some nice birds. my girls now are kind of bratty. mostly nice birds. never cause any trouble really but just not very easy to catch and whatnot. so anyway i really want some nice birds that will lay good too! do you think SLW are a good breed choice considering what i want?

7. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i have 4 young SLW pullets & they are nice & friendly im always tripping over them out in the yard i dont know about laying as they are not old enough yet. the 12mth old roo i have i dont like as much coz he is quite rough with the young flock.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have two SLW and one GLW. I got them as one month olds. They are not flighty but I wouldn't call them lap chickens either. They are somewhat aloof unless I have treats then they are right there waiting. One of my SLW is at the top of the pecking order and I am pretty sure that the GLW is at the bottom of the order with five Ameraucana pullets in the middle. The Wyandottes are much more friendly then the Ameraucanas. I really like them a lot and I am hoping to get some hatching eggs from a breeder in the future to have a better quality bird.
    I meant to add that they are great for colder climates as well. I have had no issues with frostbite on them at all.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I got 2 Silver Laced wyandottes from Mcmurray. They where flighty and so far from the standard in looks and their tails stuck up straight like a Japanese bantam! I would not recommended mcmurrays SLWs. But.... I got 2 golden laced wyandottses from privetts and they are closer to the standard. They aren't flighty but do peck me when I look for eggs under them. I like them though! And my GLWs lay a lot more eggs then my SLWs

10. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    I have a gold-laced and a silver-laced. The gold is slightly more tolerant of us, while the silver is the most nervous chicken we have. I think she is at the bottom of the pecking order. They are not sweet like the Buff we have, or the Brahmas. But they are a gorgeous chicken, and the gold lays really well. The silver hasn't started yet. I am getting 1 more with my chick order this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by