Silver or gold death layers?

mrl8810

Songster
Jun 26, 2019
Hey I posted a couple of weeks ago asking if the chicks I have are silver or gold death layers? I purchased eggs and it was supposed to be for silver death layers but I was getting mixed answers that they looked like gold and silver death layers. They are now going on three weeks old and was wondering what everyone thinks now. Excuse the mess this was just a bin to hold them while I was cleaning their brooder box. Thanks in advance for any help.
B726862F-779C-4135-BEF5-66C2F04C3F41.jpeg

Attachments

• 8F697783-12C4-44DF-A66F-C715B609A8DF.jpeg
    8F697783-12C4-44DF-A66F-C715B609A8DF.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 12
This juvenile feathering is confusing.. I also see white barring.. but don't expect the gold heads..

Look at the different phenotype in the following google image..

1687117212824.png

Interestingly enough in the pic above and the following link.. the silver babies have a large amount of brownish gold in their juvenile plumage..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-chicks-npip-ready-to-ship-5-20-19.1309643/

I think the barring tells the story here.. looks silver to me.

Please note I'm only using reasonable deduction in accordance with what I can see on my screen.. I'm no expert. I do completely understand your confusion as well as the varying opinions of others.. this is a good one.. especially if your not specifically familiar with this breed! :pop

ETA: my first thought was also inline with the first poster.

The peeps are orange but the barring could either way.
Do silver daylayers start out orange?
How confusing!
The pictures of the chicks I was able to bring up look kind of variable. I found one of a similar age that looks like these, which I'll post. I really think the neck feathers will tell the tale with these, but they won't come in for a while longer.

silver death.jpg

Back
Top Bottom