1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Penciled Rock - 4 weeks - cockerel/pullet? (NEW GROUP PICS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wynette, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got six of these cuties at home, and only ONE thus far is developing any color in its comb. I'm assuming it's a boy...opinions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    i would agree...boy

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for the feedback, melissastraka - they're sort of going through the "uglies" right now, but getting prettier all the time! I think I'm going to really like this breed! [​IMG]

4. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    Definitely a boy! See the black feathering coming in down his neck and breast?....The pullets will look barred down the front. I wanna see pics of the others. I'll bet you've got 5 girls and 1 boy. All I've hatched so far have been pullets, so this is the first boy I've seen.

5. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Cock-a-doodle-doo!!!!

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Handsome fella.

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Here are some group pics from that hatch. There are also some Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, and some blue mutts and black mutts of my own (olive eggers), but you can see most of the others - there are six total Silver Penciled Rocks:

The assumed cockerel is the third from the right - his chest is actually not black, though, it's pure white! But, he's overall much darker, and is even feathering in...odder...than the rest. Just much more uneven looking:

[​IMG]

In this picture, he's all the way to the left. Can you see how much darker and uneven in coloring he is compared to the girls, who are VERY even in coloring and much lighter?

[​IMG]

In this picture, he's right in the middle. You can't see much more than his face, but you can sure see that big comb coming in!

[​IMG]

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Haha yeah he is a for sure boy, you are lucky you got a male and 5 females.

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yeah, right? I mean...I wrote it on my calendar in big, fat, solid red letters! That just does NOT happen to me! How fortunate I am this time! [​IMG]

10. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    You are one lucky lady! 5 girls and one boy. Nice start for you in Silver Penciled Rocks! The white on the boy's chest is just down, and the black coming in along the sides is what he will change over to. They really look nice. You've done a good job hatching and raising them. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    This is what your girls will look like in a couple months:
    [​IMG]
    And this is their Daddy:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by