Silver Phoenix Chick...I think it is in IT! No joke!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Larkspur88, May 21, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Ok, I have 3 silver phoenixes. I thought I had a male and two pullets. Seemed pretty obvious. One was slightly slower to develop a tail. They are 5 weeks old and he is just now sprouting what looks like a tail. [​IMG] However, what has me stumped is out of the two pullets one acts VERY male and fights like a male with my various obvious male and the comb has gotten redder and redder and larger and larger even though it looks just like the pullet...with a tail and all.

Here are some two photos front and back.

[​IMG]
    Girl...IT...Boy

[​IMG]
    Boy...IT...Girl
    You can see my male has a lack of tail and the others have tails.

I'm just rather...befuddled. What is the middle one??? Is it a gender confused pullet? Why is acting like a male and why is the comb so red at 5 weeks if its not and then why does it have a girl tail if it is indeed a boy??

2. must be a very agressive pullet! if the tail feathers say yes, than its most likely a yes

3. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    So it can still be a pullet even with a comb that big and red at 5 weeks even though the sister has no comb development?

4. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    you have 2 roos and one pullet the hens grow the tail first as hen feather faster then roos [​IMG]

5. banjoejoe4783

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    but thise dose not mean that a roo won't grow a tail fast or feather out quik

6. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    The males grow the same kind of tail then as youngsters then a different tail later? (I've never had them before)

7. banjoejoe4783

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    yes and both hens and roos will have long tails but they are eazy to sex due to early comb growth on the roos

8. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Ahhh. Ok. Thanks. Might make sense then. The two with the red combs have been acting like jerks lately which made me start wondering if the one was becoming a male when I thought I had two pullets to start with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by