Silverudd's Blue

Pics
I recently acquired two breeding pairs of SB. I was wondering if the splash will develop more color as she ages or is this the extent of her markings ? She's approximately 4-5 months I think. Is it worthwhile to breed her ? Or should she be just a lovely laying hen for the family ?! Thanks! Appreciate your advice for a newbie.

Attachments

• IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 29
If you pair your splash female with a black male -- all the babies should be blue. If you pair her with a blue male -- you should get 1/2 blue and 1/2 splash babies and if you pair her with a splash male -- you should get all splash babies. Blue genetics are interesting.
images

Awesome chart. Thank you so much. What I'm wondering is if I have a splash that's not so "splash" will her splash offspring lack the colouring too? She's mostly white... lol.

I recently acquired two breeding pairs of SB. I was wondering if the splash will develop more color as she ages or is this the extent of her markings ? She's approximately 4-5 months I think. Is it worthwhile to breed her ? Or should she be just a lovely laying hen for the family ?! Thanks! Appreciate your advice for a newbie.

She has odd color for a splash ..would think it best to cross her to black or dark blue and not another splash to get a higher contrast splash like the girls below.
IMG_9585 (1).JPG

She has odd color for a splash ..would think it best to cross her to black or dark blue and not another splash to get a higher contrast splash like the girls below.View attachment 1180865

Thank you! That's great. Your birds are stunning! Apparently I have a dark blue lol so I can try breeding her to that. It's very hard in my part of Ontario to get any quality of first or second gen isbars. They have yet to start laying and I have my fingers crossed the eggs actually come out green.

Are your isbars 1st or 2nd gen?

Although a brown egg would not be desirable, remember that the hen only contributes 1/2 the genetics. IF the roo has the blue egg gene in two copies, then all the babies from that pairing will have green eggs even if the mother lays brown.
I have a Silverudd's Blue Isbar that lays brown. At first it was a concern, but then I realized that paired with a male that has two blue-egg genes, all her offspring would lay green.
Good luck with your breeding.
:thumbsup
ETA -- actually if the female has brown + white egg genes, and the male has blue + blue, then you could get a 'light blue' egg is she passes white gene to offspring and he passes blue.
:hmm

Back
Top Bottom