SIMPLE GENETICS - Feather, Beak, Feet Colours - Body Structure, Shape, Size

bukhari

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2019
Dear Poultry enthusiasts, i want to put across few simple questions to be answered by respected experienced members so that new poultry lovers like me can learn from the seniors. I would welcome if more people ask short, crisp questions and seniors can reply.

1. Feather Color of the offspring (if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?

2. Color of beak and feet of the offspring (if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?

3. Body structure of the offspring (if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?. To further explain this question... if i want to have Cochin bantam offspring of extreme zero size and round like a ball in shape so i should focus on getting a extreme zero size female or male?

4. Size of the offspring both males and females(if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?

5. If anyone bird out of a breeding pair of a particular breed has yellow beak and feet whereas other has white beak and feet then in this case the offspring beak and feet color will be white or yellow?.

Dear Poultry enthusiasts, i want to put across few simple questions to be answered by respected experienced members so that new poultry lovers like me can learn from the seniors. I would welcome if more people ask short, crisp questions and seniors can reply.

1. Feather Color of the offspring (if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?

2. Color of beak and feet of the offspring (if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?

3. Body structure of the offspring (if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?. To further explain this question... if i want to have Cochin bantam offspring of extreme zero size and round like a ball in shape so i should focus on getting a extreme zero size female or male?

4. Size of the offspring both males and females(if parents are of same breed/color) will be more like male or female?

5. If anyone bird out of a breeding pair of a particular breed has yellow beak and feet whereas other has white beak and feet then in this case the offspring beak and feet color will be white or yellow?.

1. If both parents are the same color, all of their chicks would most likely be the same color as them. If the color is something like partridge where it's sexually dimorphic (where males look different from females) then all of the females would look like mom, and all of the males would look like dad (I believe gender is 50/50). However if you're mixing colors (even within the same breed) it can vary, a lot. Chickens have a lot of color genes and not all of them are sexually dimorphic (such as black, white, blue, splash, etc)

2. If both parents are the same breed and the same color, then the chicks should be the exact same as well. When breeding two welsummers together all chicks should end up with yellow legs. Skin color and leg color have their own genetics though for if you were to cross chicken colors and breeds.

3. I'm not sure if the sex of the parent matters as much as having two parents who both have traits you want to pass on. Using your example, if you wanted that soft, round cochin shape, breeding cochin x cochin will get you there easier and quicker than say cochin x rhode island red. However I am not well versed in size/shape genetics of any sort.

4. I don't believe the passing on of size genetics would really depend on the gender. Roosters tend to be a little bigger than hens once matured, but I like I said I'm not very familiar with size genetics.

5. I believe white is dominant over yellow. So if you bred a bird with white legs to one with yellow you should get 50-100% white legged birds (who carry yellow).

Most genes in chickens aren't sex linked, so both a hen or a rooster can have the genes like blue or mahogany equally. There's only a few genes like chocolate and silver/gold where the birds gender matters : D if you have any feather color genetic questions I can help, hopefully someone's able to come along and help about the size genetics!

1. If both parents are the same color, all of their chicks would most likely be the same color as them. If the color is something like partridge where it's sexually dimorphic (where males look different from females) then all of the females would look like mom, and all of the males would look like dad (I believe gender is 50/50). However if you're mixing colors (even within the same breed) it can vary, a lot. Chickens have a lot of color genes and not all of them are sexually dimorphic (such as black, white, blue, splash, etc)

2. If both parents are the same breed and the same color, then the chicks should be the exact same as well. When breeding two welsummers together all chicks should end up with yellow legs. Skin color and leg color have their own genetics though for if you were to cross chicken colors and breeds.

3. I'm not sure if the sex of the parent matters as much as having two parents who both have traits you want to pass on. Using your example, if you wanted that soft, round cochin shape, breeding cochin x cochin will get you there easier and quicker than say cochin x rhode island red. However I am not well versed in size/shape genetics of any sort.

4. I don't believe the passing on of size genetics would really depend on the gender. Roosters tend to be a little bigger than hens once matured, but I like I said I'm not very familiar with size genetics.

5. I believe white is dominant over yellow. So if you bred a bird with white legs to one with yellow you should get 50-100% white legged birds (who carry yellow).

Most genes in chickens aren't sex linked, so both a hen or a rooster can have the genes like blue or mahogany equally. There's only a few genes like chocolate and silver/gold where the birds gender matters : D if you have any feather color genetic questions I can help, hopefully someone's able to come along and help about the size genetics!
Im so much thankful for such a detailed reply. These answers raise few more clarifications to be asked. Hopefully you can assist me. And for feather color genetics may i send you personal message for asking so that this thread can move on without disturbing its flow. So here are my new queries.

1. Regarding first question i will further explain by an example that lets say if i have a pair of buff cochin bantam out of which male is in dark shade buff color and female is in light shade bantam color then in this case the offspring color would be?

2. If white cochin bantam pair male has yellow beak and feet whereas female has white or off white color beak and feet then what would be the colors of beak and feet of offsprings.

3. Understood. I will search and find zero size birds to breed to get more smaller size.

4. . i think what all knowledge i gathered so far, if female has large size or tall height then offsprings would all be tall height regardless of the fact that male was not tall heighted.

5. Understood.

Im so much thankful for such a detailed reply. These answers raise few more clarifications to be asked. Hopefully you can assist me. And for feather color genetics may i send you personal message for asking so that this thread can move on without disturbing its flow. So here are my new queries.

1. Regarding first question i will further explain by an example that lets say if i have a pair of buff cochin bantam out of which male is in dark shade buff color and female is in light shade bantam color then in this case the offspring color would be?

2. If white cochin bantam pair male has yellow beak and feet whereas female has white or off white color beak and feet then what would be the colors of beak and feet of offsprings.

3. Understood. I will search and find zero size birds to breed to get more smaller size.

4. . i think what all knowledge i gathered so far, if female has large size or tall height then offsprings would all be tall height regardless of the fact that male was not tall heighted.

5. Understood.
I feel like buff can vary a lot in its shades, and you have to take into account also that the hackle and saddle feathers on a rooster are going to also be quite a bit darker! I know of the intensity gene but I'm not sure if that's what causes the differences in buff coloring, buff itself is a pretty wild color with genetics I'm not sure we fully understand or grasp yet. That's why when breeding buffs it was recommended to me to always breed buff to buff :D outcrossing buff can make some crazy things!

Skin and leg color genetics can be a little complex, but in general white is dominant over yellow, regardless of gender. So if you breed a white skinned bird to a yellow skinned bird you should get 50-100% white skinned chicks (who carry the gene for yellow skin)

Chickens inherit genes equally from both parents. For your last question, the feet and beak would be white, because that’s a dominant gene. However, the offspring would still carry the recessive gene for yellow feet/beak, because they inherited that from their other parent.

Chickens inherit genes equally from both parents. For your last question, the feet and beak would be white, because that’s a dominant gene. However, the offspring would still carry the recessive gene for yellow feet/beak, because they inherited that from their other parent.
So, what has to be done if i want that beak and feet color of offspring to be yellow and body structure to be ball shape like cochin bantams as in Pakistan i had not seen true cochin bantams which have ball like round shape and yellow beak and feet

So, what has to be done if i want that beak and feet color of offspring to be yellow and body structure to be ball shape like cochin bantams as in Pakistan i had not seen true cochin bantams which have ball like round shape and yellow beak and feet
Breed the offspring back to the yellow feet/beak parent (50% yellow, 50% white carrying yellow) or breed the offspring together (25% yellow, 50% white carrying yellow, 25% pure for white).

Breed the offspring back to the yellow feet/beak parent (50% yellow, 50% white carrying yellow) or breed the offspring together (25% yellow, 50% white carrying yellow, 25% pure for white).
Thanks so much for the explanation . and what about body structure/shape of offspring , does it depend on male or female parent🤔

Thanks so much for the explanation . and what about body structure/shape of offspring , does it depend on male or female parent🤔
No. You’ll probably get chicks that have more of a cochin body shape and chicks that have more of the body shape of the other parent. Or they could all have something in between.

Except for a very select few genes (such as chocolate) not a lot of genes are sex linked. There's also some genes that result in sexually dimorphic results (such as how a partridge rooster looks different than a partridge hen, although both are still equally partridge) but it's not as easy as "all boys will get mom's comb and all girls will get dad's color" as much as I wish it was all that easy :')

Back
Top Bottom