Simple Observation or do they all do it ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PTFarmer, May 20, 2008.

1. PTFarmer

PTFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Disputanta, Va.
    Hello All,

I had some Brown Leghorns hatching out yesterday and this morning and I made the observation that all of the eggs that piped and zipped, all zipped in a counterclockwise direction. Anyone know if they all do this ? This is not my first hatch, but I don't recall noticing this on the last hatch. Could there be something to this or just coincidence ? Has anyone else noticied the zipping direction of your eggs ? [​IMG]

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    just stopped by to say [​IMG] to a fellow Virginian. Not sure what happens while hatching. I just put 9 in a bator yesterday. 1st timer here to.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I didnt notice that before. But i have another batch in the bator and will check what they do. How did you view the eggs? From the big end or the little end?

4. PTFarmer

PTFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Disputanta, Va.
    I veiwed the eggs from the top (large end) as I am a carton hatcher from way back. I had the last three hatch this morning and all three zipped counterclockwise. There must be something to it. Hey chick crew [​IMG] where in VA are you ? I'm in Disputanta (Prince George)

Thanks
    Brian

5. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Never really thought about it, but the few that just hatched yesterday did zip counterclockwise as well. Interesting!

6. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Every chick I have ever seen hatching does indeed go counter-clockwise. Sometime they hatch from the wrong end but they always go counter-clockwise.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by