Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Stumbled upon this, and I'm totally into the idea!
yippiechickie.gif
Best of luck!

Temps holding at a steady 100.0-100.5 in the nest...no pillow, just the heating pad and the control is on #2. I'll be leaving it on that setting while I'm away for the next two days. Ambient temps in the room are 44*.

Y'all keep my thread warm while I'm away!
smile.png

I use a half bar of FelsNaptha laundry soap, a cup of Borax and a cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda...you can now find all these ingredients grouped together at most Walmarts. Just grate the soap and melt it into 8 cups of water...I do this on the stove and it seems to make better soap if you really get it to boiling a little. Then I add the powder ingredients, stir well and separate into two old gallon laundry detergent jugs(I like the ones that the pour spout comes out of...this makes an opening that's perfect for a standard canning funnel), then add cold water to top it off, shaking it well. Let it sit for 24 hrs to thicken up a bit and then use. I just use the cup measuring cap on the laundry detergent bottles and use it just like any other soap.

You'll have to shake it pretty well before using as it tends to clump up and solidify a little up near the top of the jug. I just shake well before I use it each time. It won't suds but it will clean well and leave no residue or smell at all in the clothing. I don't even have to use fabric softener of any kind because this leaves the clothes so soft and with no static at all.

I tried using this same recipe as a dry detergent and it didn't last as long as the liquid, so I went back to the liquid. I make enough to fill 4 jugs and this lasts me a long, long time.

I have done this since winter of 2008... Have never had to buy laundry detergent, I love it... I mix mine in a 5 gallon bucket and use the whole bar of soap... Sometimes if I have had a good coupon and am making the soap I add some of those downey pellets... Gives the soap a fresh smell.. I have had family that didn't think it was as good as the store bought but have since decided otherwise, So inexpensive, I think we calculated the whole 5 gallons (which when diluted makes 10 gallons ) cost around $1.75

My family had a skin reaction to the Fels Naptha, but we found that Washing Soda (2Tbs) and Simple Green (2-4 squirts) made a great easy washing machine detergent alternative for us. Not as cheap as the liquid of course, but it's easy and no one has a reaction to it in our family.

We'll be praying for your babies while you're away Mrs. Bee!

I am going to have to try the homemade laundry detergent. I have always wondered about it, but never knew it was so easy to make! Hope the eggies are doing well while you are gone! Probably so!

Sign me up, Ms Bee, I've subscribe.
caf.gif

We have incubated eggs and had broodies hatch eggs for us. We prefer the natural way in all ways but one. We have never been able to bond with the broody hatched chicks like we did with the incubated chicks. Still, God's way is still the best way.

I am enjoying all that you are discovering. Praying that God's eye is on the chicks while you are away.

Back
Top Bottom