Since when is Scratch more expensive than Layer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country Parson, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I'm not always the most observant regarding prices, but I just noticed my local feed store sells a 50lb grain of scratch for $14++, and a bag of 16% Layer pellets goes for $13++.

I always thought Scratch was supposed to be cheaper.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use Knockout Game Bird 11 grain feed for my scratch. It's always been more than the layer. $10 for the layer, which just went up from $9.50, $11.50 for the Knockout.

The regular 3 or 5-grain scratch was always about the same price as the layer feed.

3. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Grain prices are going up and up and up [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Actually they've been going up and down, up and down.

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have decided to try switching from layer crumbles to layer pellets. They seem to waste alot of the crumbles. I purchased a 50# bag this afternoon and scattered a scoop in their run just to see if they would go for it. NO. They checked it out then looked at me as if " I don't think so". How long should I try the pellets before switching back to crumbles. I don't want them going hungry. lol

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mix some of the crumble with the pellets and increase the amount of pellets dailey until that's all their getting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by