Singing chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by phore, Jun 20, 2010.

1. phore

phore In the Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    My grandson 4y asked me today when the chickens will start singing.
    We have been feeding the chickens songbird feed, as a treat every afternoon. Hence the question. I told him that he just has to listen to them very carefully, and he will hear them singing. They make beautiful music, especially at treat time.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    and when they lay their eggs.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. LesGan

LesGan Songster

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    Phore that is precious.....sweet grandchildren being sung to by our sweet chickens. My chickens do sing to me.

5. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

My chickens sing to me, too, when I go out to shut them in their coop for the night. It's so sweet considering what comes out of them at other times!

6. flockof4

flockof4 Songster

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    My girls like to "sing" when it's egg laying time. In fact, I can hear one of them singing right now...

7. phore

phore In the Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Grandson really likes it when the roosters crow, we have 3. He tries to copy them and sounds like a very young roo when they first start to crow. He is getting better. When they hear him all the roosters and chicks come a running. I don't know if they think he's a rooster or they just want treats. Either way whenever he is out side you can be sure that the chickens aren't very far away.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My favorite chick singing is when they are so content and happy and start making that chirping sound...

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Every now and then I read that the "trilling" sound is one of alarm or warning. That burst my bubble because some of my chicks have made a lovely trilling sound in the brooder. They have done it when they are sleepy or snuggly, or perched on the lip of the brooder and leaning toward me to jump in my lap. I had hoped it was a positive sound.

Whatever the reason for the sound, it's very musical and I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by