Single bird

chickieandchookie

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
Clunes Victoria
Hi all, I recently posted about my girl having to be put to sleep. I was then worried about my only other hen being lonely. So I thought I would provide an update which was rather an unexpected result but may help others who may face the same situation.

As my girl was the only bird left and we were moving house, we had made the decision to not have chickens anymore and looked for another home for her. I found a great home but then got concerned about her being bullied by the other hens. So I delayed giving her away and decided to see how she got along on her own.

Well, she is a happy girl! She is busy, she still lays eggs, she is all over the place foraging, dust bathing and generally running around. I try to spend more time with her and being on her own does not appear to have had any affect on her at all. Until we sell our house, she will remain and hopefully the new people will take her on.

I am posting this thread as there may be other people out there wondering what to do with only one girl left. If I have chickens again in our new place, I will make sure we get three - not two.

I absolutely love this hen, she chats happily away with me - arent hens the funniest little creatures??

So glad to hear your lone hen is doing so well! If given enough attention, a single bird can do just fine.

I have a lone hen as well. She is part coop and house chicken. She is almost 11 years old and doesn't at all mind being alone, she is actually thriving being an only hen! It's not for every bird but some live happier lives being only birds!

So glad to hear your lone hen is doing so well! If given enough attention, a single bird can do just fine.

I have a lone hen as well. She is part coop and house chicken. She is almost 11 years old and doesn't at all mind being alone, she is actually thriving being an only hen! It's not for every bird but some live happier lives being only birds!
I was so worried about her, everyone says with them being flock animals they will get depressed but she is great. She has a huge area to roam around in and we use the area for all of our weeds and tree cuttings so lots for her to rummage through and then we let her free roam for several hours until she puts herself into her 'bedroom'. We let her out the next day into her run....its a pretty good life. The dog and cats keep her company too!

I was so worried about her, everyone says with them being flock animals they will get depressed but she is great. She has a huge area to roam around in and we use the area for all of our weeds and tree cuttings so lots for her to rummage through and then we let her free roam for several hours until she puts herself into her 'bedroom'. We let her out the next day into her run....its a pretty good life. The dog and cats keep her company too!
I was worried about my girl too, she has been alone for a very long time. Chickens definitely are flock oriented creatures, but that's not to say if given enough human interaction they can't thrive. I free range with my girl, sit with her a lot, she comes down to the house for goodies. I had a lone male quail for years too. I gave him a ton of attention and he did quite well too. I think the idea is to give them plenty of interaction so they don't have time to be lonely. So glad your girl is enjoying life! :)

Back
Top Bottom