Single Chick Hatch

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
Tips for raising a single chick? Only one of three eggs hatched and survived so now the chick is by itself. What's worse is my broody hen has rejected the chick. I can't imagine why, but she is not keeping it so I will have to raise it myself. I understand that raising a single chick is no ideal, but I don't have any other chicks or another hen to take it in. So any advice on how to keep this chick happy will be welcome!

don't worry she will be fine. Just lonely. The same thing happened when we hatched our first chicks and again when we hatched guineas. They just need a little extra attention then if they had mates. Might I suggest adopting a brother or sister for it as well? It's not nessary but would be nice. My Chica Little grew up just fine alone and Chance is doing the same thing. Good luck!

Well, she seemed fine. We even got her some buddies from Tractor Supply - four barred rock pullets just older than the silkie chick. But this morning we found that the chick had died in the night. I have no idea why, except that something must have been going on internally that I couldn't see. The only time we were concerned about the chick's health was one day when it seemed to be having trouble walking and lost its balance. The issue didn't seem to continue so we just kept an eye on it. The chick walked around like normal, ate and drank, and slept with the other chicks. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom