Single chick

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
Today one of my two silkie chicks died. That leaves one by herself. They are TINY I cant get a TSC chick because they will pick on her and their bantams are pretty grown up. But I don't want an unsocial chick. Suggestions would be great!! Thank you!

Today one of my two silkie chicks died. That leaves one by herself. They are TINY I cant get a TSC chick because they will pick on her and their bantams are pretty grown up. But I don't want an unsocial chick. Suggestions would be great!! Thank you!
How old is she? She does need a friend. Hopefully you can find one. Good luck! :)

You can offer her a mirror and a small stuffed animal to be a "friend" but ideally you'll want to get more chickens sooner or later so she can have a real flock to interact with.

She is 2 weeks (according to breeder) but I am thinking a few days to a week. I have a mirror in there, and I have done a few ( through fence) interactions with my 8 week chicks. I don't think that really simulates a flock though. I am on TSC'S messaging list for when (and if) they get some bantam chicks in. Thank you!!

Are there any other feed stores in your area? Our local TSC is a half hour drive from my house, and I've always gotten my chicks from Farm Supply (think it's pretty local to my area). I also know of other local farms that have chicks as well. Maybe you can check around at other locations :idunno.

She is 2 weeks (according to breeder) but I am thinking a few days to a week. I have a mirror in there, and I have done a few ( through fence) interactions with my 8 week chicks. I don't think that really simulates a flock though. I am on TSC'S messaging list for when (and if) they get some bantam chicks in. Thank you!!

Glad you have other chicks at least. If worst case scenario you can't find others close to her age, at least she still could join the rest of the flock later when she's older and ready to join them.

Are there any other feed stores in your area? Our local TSC is a half hour drive from my house, and I've always gotten my chicks from Farm Supply (think it's pretty local to my area). I also know of other local farms that have chicks as well. Maybe you can check around at other locations :idunno.
Our local feed store is Family Farm and Home. I checked in there but they mostly have ducks (almost fully feathered) and turkeys. Ugh

Glad you have other chicks at least. If worst case scenario you can't find others close to her age, at least she still could join the rest of the flock later when she's older and ready to join them.
That's what I was hoping, or I would try to get my silkie flock used to her through bars, and get her living with them soon. I don't know how that would go with only one of her and 5 of them.

That's what I was hoping, or I would try to get my silkie flock used to her through bars, and get her living with them soon. I don't know how that would go with only one of her and 5 of them.
Not an ideal integration as she'd be the odd bird out, at least until she was old enough to lay, but even a bird on the bottom of the pecking order is still a member of a flock, which to them is preferable to not having a flock at all.

Back
Top Bottom