Single comb blue/green egg layers?

There's a gene called Duplex that does funny things to combs too. IIRC buttercup is an example of Duplex comb. Houdans, polish la fleches have it too- the double 'spikes'. So it can be involved in funky combs but from my crosses mixes it seems just the presence of crest itself does strange things to combs.

Here are pics of a few birds that lay blue or green eggs, have single combs, and breed true.

This is a blue isbar rooster. This breed was developed in the 1950s by the genius Swedish chicken geneticist Martin Silverudd. The breed lays moss green eggs.

Isbar-tupp-hos-s-12.jpg

Another shot of a blue isbar.

isbar62.jpg

Here is a weirgloddau rooster. These birds produce the amazing green speckled egg.

003-7.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey Lisa!,

I've been selling the OE eggs for about a year now--all my( the cutomers) pullets that have pea combs have laid olive eggs. No one keeps the single combed girls long enough to find out what they lay:-( Thats why I decided to keep mine to find out:). I have a batch going in bator Feb3rd-ish of other birds but plan on putting in a bunch of my OE's If I can spare them between orders...Maybe 6?? I love my straight comb OE girls-they look just like black Ameraucanas except with slightly feathered shanks-afterall they are egg layers, so thats a plus plus whether they lay OE eggs or not:)

This one:

44847_magic_chickens_010.jpg

at least pretends to lay blue eggs...

At least there's a warm large blue egg under 'her' when I collect eggs - so I either have a SCBEL or a broody male...

Edit for clarification.

Last edited:
barnie.gif
She lays chocolate colored eggs-dark chocolate

Here she is a few days ago
25181_cimg5254.jpg

well The next round will be this Summer-I'll try again:)

Quote:
Yes. All you need is a single combed blue/green egger and breed it with your rose comb chickens. There would be no linkage at all so you would have to raise the pullets to POL to select the colored egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom