Single comb blue/green egg layers?

Seems to be blue birchen. (genotype ER S Bl/bl- S for silver to make the hackles/saddle white instead of gold)

You can get similar looking roos out of E(a form of solid black that is not birchen) and lacking the melanizers to make them solid black though, and is common in crosses.

Hi! I thought it *looked* like birchen on the Rock boys.
I was going to ask what hens that color would look like, but now I know.
Might be a fun project. The boys are so pretty! I'll get a pic this evening.
Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa

Hummm I have a blue (or green) currently broody, fully tiled, single combed beardless, tuftless- didn't come with my EEs...

I'll grab a pict of her...

44847_magic_chickens_010.jpg

white um what's the word... ear covers and

shanks are 'slate' I'd swear 'silver' but tha't not a color...

Last edited:
Quote:
I came across this thread and message just by chance. In the late 1990's, I had a laying flock that was a composite of Danish Brown Leghorns and Easter Eggers. Over a period of several years, I selected for a "somewhat" Leghorn type bird which layed blue eggs. The plumage colors were varied, but dark and light browns predominated. In year 3 or 4 I had a single combed hen which layed blue eggs. Obviously a chromosomal crossover had occurred, breaking the linkage between the pea comb and the blue eggshell gene. While I thought it was interesting, I did not really care one way or the other whether the combs were single or pea, so I made no effort to increase the frequency of single combed, blue egg laying birds. Eventually a job change caused me to move and I disposed of the entire flock.

Back
Top Bottom