Single comb marks

The first photo has directionals marked in. It's kind of messy, ha. The coop is built into the southeast corner of the barn, so north is at the opposite short end where the other roll-up door is, and west is the opposite long end of the barn that is actually the wall of the back of our garage. The two windows in the coop and the Dutch door face east. Given our prevailing winds are from the northwest, the coop is naturally well-placed. At least we have that going for us.
You could use plywood or clear roofing panels to solid up the north and half of the east wall if you are feeling drafts. I think I would do it anyways. I'd use the roof panels if you have the money to allow more light in. It would give your birds a place where drafts would be minimal. That's what I would do.

Spots on comb look like a bit of dry pox, virus spread by mosquitos.
Best left alone, it'll go away within a few weeks.

More pics of barn, inside and out?
Looks like eaves are closed off?
Which is too bad because that's the best place to ventilate on cold climates.

Temp and humidity should be about the same inside and outside building,
with a bit of lag throughout the day/night,
that's when you have enough ventilation.

It's the near freezing temps surrounding thaws when I see the most frostbite.
Gray is mild, white is serious, black is severe(necrotic).
Hand off here, before and especially after, all have healed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

Thanks, Aart, for the info on dry pox and frostbite. Very helpful to know going forward.

As for the coop/barn, more photos below to give a better idea of the setup. Barn has vented eaves, and the "ceiling" of the coop is made of chicken wire so completely open. I added some painter's plastic and a loosely draped heavy canvas tarp as wind barriers on the north and west sides of the coop.

@oldhenlikesdogs Unfortunately I don't have any roof sheeting like you mentioned and the panels are too big to put in the SUV. Next year when my husband's home from overseas we'll definitely hitch up the trailer and get some! Great idea.

PXL_20201107_173615218~2.jpg

PXL_20201107_173704149~2.jpg

PXL_20201107_173723616~2.jpg

PXL_20201107_173737695~2.jpg

Barn has vented eaves
Those aren't really open enough, IMO, but better than nothing.
The building is so large tho there may be plenty of ventilation, especially if you can leave some windows open away from the coop.
Not sure you even need the draping around the coop walls.

Those aren't really open enough, IMO, but better than nothing.
The building is so large tho there may be plenty of ventilation, especially if you can leave some windows open away from the coop.
Not sure you even need the draping around the coop walls.

Yeah, I really wanted something similar to what you showcased in your coop posts, but this is what we ended up with. I might end up taking at least the far plastic off. My initial thought is that it protects the coop when I open that big door in the morning to go in and turn the litter under the roosting bars, but as it gets much colder I think I'll use the door from the garage into the barn in order to keep the cold wind/snow from blowing in the roll-up door. Thanks so much for all of your help! CHEERS, Heather

Your first winter will be a learning curve. You may have to tweak things as winter gets on. Things like lay of the land, and what type of trees or shrubs are around your shed can change the wind direction, and speed. So I would see how it goes with what you have there. Plus every winter is different. I'm hoping for another mild one here again. :)

Your first winter will be a learning curve. You may have to tweak things as winter gets on. Things like lay of the land, and what type of trees or shrubs are around your shed can change the wind direction, and speed. So I would see how it goes with what you have there. Plus every winter is different. I'm hoping for another mild one here again. :)

You are most correct. We sit atop a tall kame with hillsides covered in oaks, maples and basswood, and winds get pretty strong and swirly up here as the leaves leave. Our flock arrived at two days old this past February, so while they did get a bit of snow and cold, this is the first real, full winter. We shall see how it all shakes out, and yes, please, to a mild one! CHEERS, Heather

Back
Top Bottom