Single drake

aesch

Songster
6 Years
Jun 30, 2017
Recently I had 5 of my 6 ducks processed. Couldn't catch that last one no matter how I tried. Since Mr. Quackers managed to avoid the trip to freezer heaven (for now), I'm wondering how he will adapt to the single life. He's a Khaki Cambell, 14 weeks and sexually mature, stays in a 1/4 acre fenced pasture with chickens who tolerate him. He could easily fly out but prefers to stay where he is. Any thoughts? I do have a large area with 4 turkeys he could stay in but I would have to build him a coop; not really wanting to do that. And NO WAY am I getting any more ducks. Thanks.

Last edited:
Recently I had 5 of my 6 ducks processed. Couldn't catch that last one no matter how I tried. Since Mr. Quackers managed to avoid the trip to freezer heaven (for now), I'm wondering how he will adapt to the single life. He's a Khaki Cambell, 14 weeks and sexually mature, stays in a 1/4 acre fenced pasture with chickens who tolerate him. He could easily fly out but prefers to stay where he is. Any thoughts? I do have a large area with 4 turkeys he could stay in but I would have to build him a coop, not really wanting to do that. And NO WAY am I getting any more ducks. Thanks.

Though I don’t know much about ducks, he’d probably be lonely. I say craft and use a Shepard’s hook to wrap around his leg, then you can reel him in and you’ve got him.

Tried that. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. Lol. Unfortunately I am physically limited in my mobility so running around isn't an option. I trapped the others but he escaped and didn't fall for it a second time. The processors are a 40 mile one way trip which I will be taking in the fall with my turkeys so hopefully my drake will go with them at that time. I guess what I'm looking for are ways to keep him from flying off and getting into mischief.

This sounds crazy, but try to trap him with a laundry basket if you can. That’s how my husband catches our drake when we need to give him a check over. He won’t let me catch him for anything, and he’s not even that fast, just elusive. He may be okay with the chickens around, but he also may get lonely not having a duck friend. My drake lost his mate this year and he wandered in the yard for days calling for her before I got him a new buddy.

:hit
This sounds crazy, but try to trap him with a laundry basket if you can. That’s how my husband catches our drake when we need to give him a check over. He won’t let me catch him for anything, and he’s not even that fast, just elusive. He may be okay with the chickens around, but he also may get lonely not having a duck friend. My drake lost his mate this year and he wandered in the yard for days calling for her before I got him a new buddy.

Thank you, everyone. He's going through some trauma, that's for sure. And mating with the chickens? Makes me shudder.
Can he actualy take flight and fly over trees? none of my kcs could
No, but he does clear the low 3 ft fence easily. Fortunately my neighbor doesn't seem to mind his foraging in his yard. He just started this when the others had their first bad day.

Back
Top Bottom