single gobbler

nvmycj

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Hey guys...

Can I have a single goobler or a pair of turkeys mixed in with my chickens? Will they share the coop?

Thanks!

I would be careful having just a tom turkey in with your chickens. I had one a couple of years ago and had to find him a new home because he attempted to mount my hens and broke the backs of a couple. I do have turkeys in with my chickens and ever since I started making sure there was at least one hen turkey in there, the toms haven't been attracted to chickens and everyone's been getting along just fine.
fl.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I have raised chickens and turkeys together and never had a problem but as the previous poster talked about I have never had just a tom with the chickens. I always had a few hens. So I can't really say what would happen with just one tom and a flock of chickens with no roo.

ETA: I was at a friend's house once and saw the male turkey try to mate with a meatie. Had to separate them because we were afraid the turkey would basically kill the chicken with it's weight.

Last edited:
My tom (a gentle guy) was temporarily penned with my chickens and he tried to mate them. I seperated him before he could hurt them, but I have no doubt he would have ended up killing them if he had stayed in the pen long term. If you had a female turkey in with the tom and the chickens he might be less interested in chicken love.

ROFL! You just reminded me of a story when you talked about the roo protecting the hen turkey. My hen was just the opposite. When the ravens would land in the pen to try to go after the chickens, my hen (yes, hen) would go into a full on strut that would have made any tom proud and chased those nasty ravens away. She was the flock protector.

lol Mine was raised with a breeding pair of new hampshire reds, and she was very docile. My husband made her an outdoor roost for night time since she was taking up so much room in the coop. We went and put her on the roost the first night, then all the chickens went into the coop. About 5 mins later we heard a loud barking sound. We looked outside and the turkey hen was standing infront of the sliding glass door red faced. She was mad that we didn't put her in the coop. So I walked to the coop, she followed me and when I opened the door, she jumped right in.

Back
Top Bottom