Single Silkie in December

teamkight

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
We had a backyard flock of three hens but a foster dog managed to sneak in their chicken yard and kill two of them.
1f62d.png
We are down to one Silkie who goes broody VERY frequently, but it is also December (but in Central Texas, so it doesn't get very cold). I'm wondering what the best course of action is for bringing some new chickens in?

I was thinking chicks, which would allow us to pick breeds ... But concerned about the time of year. I think the Silkie would be a great mom but wasn't sure if we should introduce chicks when she ISN'T broody. And it's chilly here now, just above freezing.

Not sure we can get our hands on juveniles.

The local feed store has 4-month-olds but the breeds are usually boring breeds! But we'd rather intro a few of those than have our Silkie perish of loneliness/ cold.

Looked into mail-order, but shipping on anything but chicks is very prohibitive.

TIA!

I would get just one chicken her age to keep her company, then go ahead and get the chicks. She will have the older one until the chicks are big enough for her to interact with. If you give her little chicks with no older chicken, she would still be a bit lonely. Look around on Craigslist and on here, this time of year there are a lot of people trying to get rid of older hens, even for free at times.

Thanks! I never thought of doing both. So you don't think the weather is a concern? And do you think the Silkie will accept the chicks if she's not broody at the moment?

Oh, I'd also worry about the stranger chicken attacking the babies. We could separate them till they're used to each other, but would rather not.

Once you have your chicken yard secure, so the foster pups absolutely cannot get to the chickens again, I would add another adult or pullet to keep your silkie happy. Twice we've added a buddy to our flock so Betty could have a best friend, although we did have other chickens in another coop. Always worked out fine, and Betty was so happy to have a best friend! Her best buddy, Bertha, was found through Craigslist..

CL usually has postings, but be sure to check out the premises first--some sellers have scary-looking facilities.....
Searching the web, this farm is in Waco: www.clabornfarms.com And other farm looks to be closer to Houston: www.katescacklingranch.wix.com I am not promoting or getting payment for mentioning their names. Again, do your own investigation of the facilities first.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom