Sinitus in Call Ducks?

CallDucks24

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
I have two call ducks with some sort of sinitus? And need advice on how to treat them.
I purchased them from a breeder last November 2012. At that time one had very minor swelling of the sinuses I was told that it was from not having enough fresh water and that in time it would clear up on its own and not use antibiotics to treat it. A month went by and I decided to try Tylan50 water soluble to treat any infection with no success. After that did not work I waited a period of time and had the mucous tested for different strains of bacteria such a mycoplasma all results were negative except for growth of e-coli which was most likely due to a contaminated sample of snot. After those results I treated them with .10cc of Baytril Sub Q and repeated that dose 4 days later. The Baytril did help improve the infection the swelling went down quite a bit but they still have swollen sinuses and discharge. Does anyone know what the next step would be? A higher dosage or a different antibiotic? Someone suggested flushing with hydrogen peroxide? I am starting to wonder if they will ever get rid of this junk, I would greatly apprectiate any insight.

I have two call ducks with some sort of sinitus? And need advice on how to treat them.
I purchased them from a breeder last November 2012. At that time one had very minor swelling of the sinuses I was told that it was from not having enough fresh water and that in time it would clear up on its own and not use antibiotics to treat it. A month went by and I decided to try Tylan50 water soluble to treat any infection with no success. After that did not work I waited a period of time and had the mucous tested for different strains of bacteria such a mycoplasma all results were negative except for growth of e-coli which was most likely due to a contaminated sample of snot. After those results I treated them with .10cc of Baytril Sub Q and repeated that dose 4 days later. The Baytril did help improve the infection the swelling went down quite a bit but they still have swollen sinuses and discharge. Does anyone know what the next step would be? A higher dosage or a different antibiotic? Someone suggested flushing with hydrogen peroxide? I am starting to wonder if they will ever get rid of this junk, I would greatly apprectiate any insight.
From all I have read Tylan is the choice for sinus and respirtory did you go the full treatment? and can you use ACV in their bucket for head dunking? or Oxine AH both will kill bacteria. and
welcome-byc.gif

I take a needle end for a syringe and actually stick it in the sinus cavities and push the infection out then attach the syringe with baytril and inject the medication, this takes practice but is the most efficient way to get rid of it also use oxine in their drinking water helps too

Thank you for your help I really appreciate the advice. I have a few questions. My first question is what size needle would you use to push the infection out with? I am using a 25 gauge x 5/8'' to inject the baytril would that be a good size or should I use something a little larger? And is 7 days the length of treatment you do when injecting the baytril into their sinuses? (Should I stay with the .10 cc for a dose?) I do have apple cider vinegar how much should you add to their water? I am thinking of ordering oxine, I have heard it is very strong stuff and was wondering how much you add to a gallon of water or so and for how long?

Last edited:
Thank you for your help I really appreciate the advice. I have a few questions. My first question is what size needle would you use to push the infection out with? I am using a 25 gauge x 5/8'' to inject the baytril would that be a good size or should I use something a little larger? And is 7 days the length of treatment you do when injecting the baytril into their sinuses? (Should I stay with the .10 cc for a dose?) I do have apple cider vinegar how much should you add to their water? I am thinking of ordering oxine, I have heard it is very strong stuff and was wondering how much you add to a gallon of water or so and for how long?
*I use 22g can go a size bigger if you want... only has to go in a very little bit.
I would do the one treatment in the sinuses then follow up 3 days later in the breast. .10th cc
dont know about the vinegar never used it. and the oxine is about 1 tsp. to a gallon of water... it is very strong but works wonders if the get eye infections or the slimy cheeks/ face.

Back
Top Bottom