Sinus Congestion... What Do You Do?

Sinus meds really throw me for a loop, so I try not to take them unless I just HAVE to. I get the Walgreens brand of Mucinex Sinus. You have to take it every 4 hours, but it keeps your head from pounding every time you move. I do have a prescription nasal spray I use when it is really bad, as well as taking a store brand Benadryl before I go to bed. That really helps bunches if you notice that they are worse in the morning.

I sleep with the window open when I am congested. Try alternating warm and Really cold compresses over the sinuses and eyes. I refuse to put anything up my nose - so can't really say if any of those sprays and stuff work or not. Another natural remedy that helps shorten the duration of a cold/flu is Umcka - I like the packets that you add to hot water. Which brings me to TheraFlu. LOVE that stuff, but Only the lemon flavor. And Strong horseradish works really good as does onions. Hope you feel better soon!!!

Zicam works great... but don't use anymore than you have to. It will destroy your sence of smell. (It happened to me anyway)

If it's an infection, shouldn't an antibiotic work? or is it just allergies?

After struggling with a sinus infection last fall for a month, I started using a Neti Pot. It took all my courage to do it the very first time, the results were amazing. It really isn't so bad kinda feels like your swimming, there is no choking or anything.

The Dr. also put me on steroids(the family has threatened to move away if I ever have to be put on them again! I turn into an awful person). Muxinex (sp) is a wonder drug IMO, with real sudafed tossed in. I had been taking Clariton for allergies but the DR. said to use Zyrtec instead because it covered more allergens.

It does feel a bit like salt water in your nose. The key is to get the concentration of salt mix and temperature of the water right. If its at body temperature and the same salinity and pH as your sinuses, then it feels ok.

Quote:
Yea. Me too. I'm afraid I'm not a whole lot of fun to be around, and since I didn't venture the hour drive to school today- I'm here.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and well wishes. I'm in such misery that I am seriously considering one of those neti pots- although if a spider crawls out, y'all will be reading my obit!

Neti-pot works for me.....I have thyroid disease/high BP so I can't take the pseudo-ephidine
sad.png

FYI: Mucinex makes a formula WITH AND WITHOUT Sudafed in it! My doc told me not to use the one with sudafed when I had my sinus infection b/c sudafed is too drying.

Back
Top Bottom